1984 460, not getting enough gas to carb, Fuel system problem? PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Ford Truck Forum' started by b33cpe, Feb 3, 2007.

1. b33cpe

b33cpe New Member

I have a 1984 ford f-250 460 4x4. and i am getting minimal gas in the carburator causing the truck to only run for 10-15 seconds, i give it gas when it starts to die but it still dies. i ran an alternate electric fuel pump outside the truck from the tank switch over(i have two tanks), and the truck runs perfect. I have changed the fuel filter , rebuilt the carburator(and adjusted the floats), changed the fuel return valve and fuel relay, I also checked the roll over shut off valve and reset it. I also checked all the fuses. Any ideas on what could be wrong? Please help i am out of ideas.

2. 75K30

75K30 Senior Member

You installed a temporary pump, and it runs good? The old pump is bad. Change the pump, and you should run as good as the temp pump.

3. jay996

jay996 Full Member

X 2 I agree bump

4. b33cpe

b33cpe New Member

its not the fuel pumps. Or the oil pressure activated fuel pump cutoff switch, oil pressure gauge sending unit, fuel return valve, fuel relay, caburetor, floats, inertia switch, fuel tank selector valve, or the fuses, any other ideas?

5. 75K30

75K30 Senior Member

If you bypassed the pump,and ran a temporary one, then it could only be the pump, or the common line that feeds the carb. You mentioned pumps, (plural), did you mean that? Do you have more than one pump installed in the truck?

6. b33cpe

b33cpe New Member

My truck has two fuel pumps, one for each tank.

7. 75K30

75K30 Senior Member

I am assuming that each tank acts the same way? Then you must have a clog in a regulator, or an area of line common to both pumps. Do you know where they tie together?

8. Chunk

Chunk Member

fuel tank

did you check for a filter on the end of the line in the tanks. also what about the fuel tank switch, you said that you ran the temp from there back is the switch bad and not alowing either pump to run?