1987 Chevy Custom Deluxe engine question

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by Rebelryan13, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Rebelryan13

Rebelryan13 Full Member

Gas Station Manager
    Howdy, I have a 1987 Custom Deluxe that I'm rebuilding, and I'm new to everything. My plan is to make this a pullin' truck. Now, I have a 350 sittin' here needin' to be rebuilt and I have a question on what exactly should I do to it to get the power I need to pull with it. I didn't plan on puttin' a supercharger on it because I am not financially able to make a $3000+ purchase on one item. I also know if I set the engine up with low compression for the supercharger and not put it on right away, I wouldn't get any type of decent performance. So I need help with this decision. If I don't do use the supercharger, then I would need to up the compression ratio, and I need some advice on how I'm going to set this up. If you can help, I would be much abliged.

2. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    They say you can take a rv cam and put it in and will help with torque.

3. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    What is your budget on this? Could make a 383 stroker...or just a mild build ? Are you wanting tbi, or carb.
    A good set of heads and cam will be ideal on a small budget.

4. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

pulling as in towing....yes rv cam, double roller timimg chain, prob need a reflash, mud had a good co for that

5. Boudin

Boudin Forum Moderator

Jack of all trades, master of none
    Forget the supercharger. IMO, that is up there in the category of nitrous oxide and something that I wouldn't consider on this project for a number of reasons. Mainly the one you already touched on....price. I think that extra money would be better spent elsewhere.

I share the same opinion that CC does on this one and would drop in a 383 stroker. When my 350 gives out on me in my current truck....that's what I plan on getting. It would have plenty of "pulling power" (I'm assuming you are talking about torque) when you needed it and would be a good choice for a number of reasons. CC brought up good points with the other powertrain characteristics he mentioned. Regardless of your fuel delivery system (injected or carb) and aspects like your gear ratios, transmissions, etc....the 383 would be my first choice if I decided to go with something else than a 350.

Overall....it's just my opinion....but get the supercharger idea off the plans for this one and concentrate on the motor basics for now. If you still feel like you need more power when it is all said and done and still want a supercharger....then have at it. Just try and approach this engine choice from the standpoint of its fundamental setup as the source of "pulling power" (Rv cam, heads, etc) instead of the supercharger providing it.

6. Rebelryan13

Rebelryan13 Full Member

Gas Station Manager
    I agree, I will drop the supercharger idea for now. The 383 sounds like a great plan, but my budget doesn't fit very well with that idea at the moment. I want to look into Vortec (sorry about spelling) heads on it for now. To my understanding the Vortec head would be the way to go with a nice cam. I think I'll start on the 383 once I get her running and swap engines after. Let me know your opinion of a 350 engine with Vortec heads and a nice cam with 4 barrel carb. Would this be a good start to getting her running? By the way does anyone know what year the Vortec heads became available on the small block 350?

7. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    Vortec was late 95 ..was obd 11/2 year. 96 was first obd11 year.

8. Rebelryan13

Rebelryan13 Full Member

Gas Station Manager
    Thanks Chevychase, I'll see what I can find when I look into my engine possibilities more.

9. bdubs94

bdubs94 Senior Member

warehouse worker (for now)
    If you will be running a car, I love this cam "Xtreme 4x4 X4262H Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft" pulls like mad! The part number for the kit is 249-12-239-3. It will not run with TBI but it'll pull a house over with a 4bbl intake and carb! :applaud:
    CAM SPECS.

Lift: .462''/.480''
    Duration: 262°/270°
    Lobe Separation Angle: 111°
    RPM Range: 1300-5600

10. gpmorgan

gpmorgan Auto Banned

forklifts and equip tech
    a good set of gears will work wonders. (373 or 410). may use a bit more fuel though.