1989 chevy truck won't start

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by woodman13, Jul 4, 2006.

1. woodman13

woodman13 New Member

I have a 1989 chevy truck with a 350 TBI that won't start. It turns over fine and you hear the fuel pump hum, but it won't start. If you dump a small amount of gas in the TBI housing it will start and run fine. The minute you turn the ignition switch off and try to restart it it will not start. The truck has 150K miles on it and it has been well maintained. The problem started a few times here and there and now does it all the time. I have installed a fuel pump and strainer, I rebuilt the TBI and installed a new AIC. I have checked all the fuses and think it is something to do with the injector signal at start up, but I can not find anything on it in my crappy haynes repair manual. Any help would be great.

2. chevyguy

chevyguy Senior Member

professional blimp pilot and rodeo clown
    sounds like low fuel pressure to me. Have you checked the fuel pressure, Should be between 13-9 psi any lower and it fuel pump time

3. 1995C3500

1995C3500 Full Member

student/seasonal
    a 1992 at work had the same problem last year, it came down to that it needed a new filter, and the lines had to have water pressured through them cause a ton of dirt was in the lines and clogging it and until the engine was started it wasnt pulling enough fuel to run, it would sputter and spit but not do more than fail to start till we sprayed starter fluid down the tbi

4. 88chev

88chev Full Member

are you getting fuel at the throttle body?

5. Hayden

Hayden Senior Member

It's junk. wanna sell it? lol

6. woodman13

woodman13 New Member

It was the ignition modual. I never could find it in my repair manual. I found it on here and just replaced the part. It runs great now, ready for another 150K miles.