1992 Silverado 5.7 Cranks But Won't Start

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by Bilco, May 5, 2011.

1. Bilco

Bilco Member

New person here. You folks have a great forum and I'm looking forward to being a member. Having a little problem with my truck which I bought new in 92 and it now has 176,000 miles on it. Here's the problem:

1. Have been having a problem for several weeks where after stopping for short time the truck will not start back up even though the engine turns over normally. It will however start with a small squirt of starting fluid and runs great after than with no missing, skipping, or any signs of a problem. It will run great for several days and then all of a sudden it won't start. Remove the air cleaner cover, spray in a fast shot of starting fluid, and I'm good for a few more days of stop and go.

Has done this seven times during the last few weeks even after the following repairs were made by a local mechanic:
    (a) Complete Tune Up (plugs, distributor cap, rotor button, cap, plugs, new wires, fuel filter, air cleaner, pvc valve, etc.)
    (b) Replaced ignition coil
    (c) Replaced fuel pump (twice)
    (d) Replaced battery and battery cables including the orange wire which provides constant voltage.
    (e) Code readings made and no codes showing.
    I'm a half-way decent shade tree mechanic but have a little medical problem and that's why I used the mechanic. Guess I'm going to have to do it myself though because of his just throwing parts at the problem. I do admit though I'm lost on this one and really need your help and am looking most forward to your expert advice

2. greencamaro1981

greencamaro1981 Senior Member

student in kolege
    i know this is a stupid question but fuel filter?and secondly pull the air cleaner and look at the injectors they should squirt and not drip mine did similar and it was a bad injector was getting stuck closed I would do the same thing the thing will start with fluid so its not a spark or air issue only fuel lastly i would check pulse signal from computer

3. Bilco

Bilco Member

thanks so much for the reply. The fuel filter is new (as of two weeks ago) but I can put another one on. Injectors do squirt a fine mist. Question: How do I check pulse signal from computer?

4. greencamaro1981

greencamaro1981 Senior Member

student in kolege
    go to parts store and see if they have a tester to rent its like a little light bulb to plug in, i cant remember if there is a priming pulse from the injector or not i would ask here hopefully someone can remember but next time it wont start pull air cleaner off and watch to see if the injectors are pulsing like they should but in the meantime put in a good cleaner techron is my favorite

5. Bilco

Bilco Member

#5 Bilco, May 6, 2011
    Last edited: May 6, 2011
    Cleaner is in and the fuel pressure was checked about a three hours ago. Pressure was okay. Stopped at convenience store on the way home and it would not crank again until I removed the air cleaner and sprayed a little starting fluid and it started right up and runs great. Stopped a couple of times after that and not a problem. It will do it again though without doubt.

Had a local mechanic tell me it may be a possible vent stopped up and I should try driving around with the gas cap off. What are your thoughts on that?? By the way thanks so much for helping

6. kronhenry

kronhenry Senior Member

Welder
    try your ignition control module if you have another vehicle you can take it off and bring it to autozone or advanced auto they test them. sometimes they get hot and wont send the pulse to the injectors or spark plugs

7. Bilco

Bilco Member

Local auto part stores could not test ignition module so I installed a new "Ignition Control Module" yesterday just before noon. We'll see what happens and I will update. Thanks again for the advice and hopefully this will take care of the problem.

8. kronhenry

kronhenry Senior Member

Welder
    cool keep us updated

9. Grandizer

Grandizer New Member

Temperature senser

Check ECT sensor will create your condition too.

10. Grandizer

Grandizer New Member

Hi there guys, I have a 1994 Silverado rear wheel drive with 305cid/ac TBI, drove 24 hrs ago was mint and like always. This morning I go to start it, cranks and cranks, smell lots of fuel, still have to check for spark, shorted out pins A & B on the ALDL connector and got no codes. Possibly a crank sensor?? as soon as I check for spark I guess we'll know which direction to go next. Anyone with similar problem ever? I have changed the distributor shaft, magnetic pick-up, fuel filter, wires, plugs, air filter over the last 2 years. Fuel pump and pressure are good. (smell the fuel from outside, hood closed) Cheers... -Chad and thank you for your responses.