1995 chevy k1500 - Which Rear differentials interchange ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by Douglass, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Douglass

Douglass Senior Member

#1 Douglass, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2011
    I need help again, I have a 1995 chevy k1500 5.7, and I need to know
    what rear end assemblies will work/interchange with my truck.

I called the dealer and I was told that 3:73 gears came in the truck.
    any help would be great,
    I am going to the pick yard this next weekend and need to know what will work.
    I am about 95% sure it has a 8.5" rear end.
    I would like to be able to buy a complete rear end and simply install it into the truck.

thanks,
    Douglass

2. Saugeen Drifter

Saugeen Drifter Senior Member

Operator / Fishing Guide
    #2 Saugeen Drifter, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2011
    is this a 2wheel drive, if it is any gear ratio will work, its simply a swapping of gears,
    if its a 4x4 you must ensure your rear pot gear ratio matches that of your front pot "diff".
    There is a previous post I answered to called "rear end", it states where to find
    your rear end information and what the codes in your glove box mean

and I think they differentiate the rear ends for our years of trucks by the number of bolts that hold on the rear differential cover not its diameter. It should be a 10bolt or you have the size of 8.5" correct

One recommendation, pull off the differential cover and make sure its a limited slip not a full slip,
    limited is by far more desirable unless you want to drag it then you want a non slip.
    full slip = if one rear tire slip spins the other is a dud and just sits there
    limited slip = if one tire starts to slip spin the second tire will be actuated and begin to spin,
    perhaps getting you unstuck or giving you more traction

3. Douglass

Douglass Senior Member

#3 Douglass, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
    this is a1995 1/2 ton 4x4. I am looking to see what rear ends can be bolted up with out modifications. I am not going to be picky on the differential or even the brake size. can any 89-98 1/2 ton 4x4 be bolted on? Thanks for the help guys I need to know what will work when I go to the pick yard. I am looking for a complete rear end assembly, not just the differential.

Douglass

4. Douglass

Douglass Senior Member

#4 Douglass, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
    Ok guys anyone know about rear ends that would inter change with my truck. How about rear differentials. I am going tomorrow to the pick yard any advice would be great. ? I read the tread you were referring to. i am looking for a year range.

Douglass

5. Douglass

Douglass Senior Member

I wanted to update this, I found a 1989 Chevy K2500 in the pick and pull yard, and it had a 14 bolt rear end 3.73 posi 9.5" ring gear6 lug. It cost me 159.00 with drums. I installed new brakes shoes, new lift blocks w/u-bolts and nuts, machined the drums, new hardware,new wheel cylinders,new axle seals, and a new brake hose too. It bolted right up to the truck. i had to make a parking brake cable adjustment, and had to buy a conversion u-joint. I have the truck bed off replacing the fuel pump for prev maint, but once I drive the truck I will update the thread again.

the rear end that was in the truck originally was a 8.5" 10 bolt.