1996 K1500 ABS Light Stuck On

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by kcstrom, Sep 30, 2010.

1. kcstrom

kcstrom New Member

Hi all,

I have a 1996 K1500/4x4/5.7L that has had the ABS light stuck on for the past few days. I found last night that the brake fluid reservoir (if that's what it's called) was low (below the min line), so I put in some more brake fluid. That didn't seem to cause the ABS to go out. Perhaps I need to bleed the brakes (maybe air got in?) or reset the code though if this were really what caused the light to come on.

I've found these threads regarding ABS light stuck on in 96 Chevy trucks by searching around:
    Re: 1996 Chevy truck ABS. Can I get a code without a scanner?

http://www.truckforum.org/forums/gmc-truck-forum/23007-1996-gmc-k1500-abs-wiring.html

Reading ABS Codes

The first one mentions a way to manually (without an ABS scanner) read the codes out by shorting the "H" terminal in the "ALDL" connector. I'm at work now, and the truck is home, but hopefully this will be obvious. My question regarding the manual method is: does anyone know of a mapping of blinks/whatevers to error codes?

Thanks in advance!

kcstrom

2. kcstrom

kcstrom New Member

Bump

Bump.

I also found out that my truck doesn't have an ALDL connector (for OBDI) like the first link above mentioned. It is whatever type connector the OBDII system. Does anyone know if you can short any of these terminals to get the ABS Light to blink and a link/listing of what the blinks correspond to?

Thanks.

kcstrom

3. bradrhale

bradrhale Senior Member

County Environmental Health Inspector
    do not short an OBD2 ALDL connector. the ABS codes can only be pulled using a scan tool or similiar which pretty much the dealer has. parts houses cannot pull these codes.