2000 Silverado heater control

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by schlak, Sep 16, 2009.

1. schlak

schlak Full Member

Mfg Tech
    I've been battling this one for a while now. Turns out, the mixing door actuator motor was not reacting to the knob on the control module. So, all I was gettiing was cold air, everywhere. That's a drag when you're trying to dry out the wind shield on a cool, humid Minnesota morning trying to get to work. Found a '99 in a local yard, swapped the control mod first, no luck. Then, tried the swapper with a door motor, and left the thing on the floor so I could watch. Thought I had it nailed when I watched the motor cycle one direction, then go to the other limit when I moved the knob. Then.......nothing! Now comes the part where I open the ol' wallet and cough up for a new control and motor. :mad: They say De Ja Vu can be a fun thing........but not when I saw my new parts behave THE EXACT SAME WAY! I talked to a GM Master Mechanic who recommended getting a scan tool diagnostic with a TECH II scanner. Any one seen this before?

2. NCroadracer

NCroadracer Senior Member

You are not supposed to connect the mode or temp door actuators while they are not mounted.. They learn the max values by the resistance the door supplies at full open/close.. If they are powered up in the uninstalled position they hyper drive and lock up. rendering them No Good.

3. crabtruck

crabtruck Senior Member

That's not a recoverable error ?!

4. NCroadracer

Nope... not without disassembling the actuator and rezeroing it... but they don't stay together once theyre split.

5. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

:no:sounds like a major oops! but something i will remember for the future....thanks for the lesson:applaud:

6. NCroadracer

No Problem... When you buy a new one, there is a card warning about that included in the package usually.

7. crabtruck

crabtruck Senior Member

That's funny.
    Thanks for the info, my guess would have turned out expensive.

8. schlak

schlak Full Member

Mfg Tech
    Thanks for the tip, NC. I decided that since I had nothing to lose, I would take apart the old actuator motor to see what "makes it tick". Four screws and the cover comes off...just needed to pull a gear out to zero the travel again. Went back together just as easy. Tried it with the the new motor....Success! :woot: We're makn heat AND cold! You guys are awesome.:bow: I can't say which part was bad, but at least I can put the wallet away.:D

9. crabtruck

crabtruck Senior Member

The part that was bad was saying "awesome"
    then putting the wallet away.
    :rofl:

10. bradrhale

bradrhale Senior Member

County Environmental Health Inspector
    i think everyone should take one apart. tried that once with a wasted one and could never get it to work right EVER after that. there is about 3 million plastic sprockets in there that MUST fit a certain way. get one sprocket one tooth off, and the whole thing dont work.