2002 Chevy 1500HD 6.0 liter

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by cpk34, Jul 15, 2012.

1. cpk34

cpk34 New Member

I have a 2002 Chevy 1500 HD Crew cab 4x4 with a 6.0 liter engine. I need to replace the fuel injectors. Need to know what PSI injectors i need. Any info would be very helpful.

Thanks,

cpk34

2. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    #2 chevychase, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2016
    I would upgrade to the multi port injection. Do not under stand psi on injectors ..there is flow rate.
    You run on 58psi fuel pressure. You have a spider injector that feeds poppets /injectors.
    Here is a vid of what you have. will be the same for all vortec engines. 03 was up graded to mpfi

3. calisdad

calisdad Full Member

retired home builder
    Chevychase, Brian states in the video that the best way to go is AC Delco parts as they are superior. Do you agree?

Also it's time for me to quit messing around and have this done. Could a guy with average wrenching skills tackle this or just have a reputable shop do it?

Anything else you would do at the same time? My engine, cats and O2 sensors have less than 4000 miles. I don't know if the replaced the timing belt when the engine was out and I'm pretty disappointed they didn't do, or at least offer to do, the injector conversion. Miles on truck 235k. Recent IAC, TPS, CTS, coil, ICM but I still have a 'high voltage' code and get 11mpg along with an odd starting problem that got worse with the new IAC (starts right up in the morning but dies on subsequent starting buts starts right up after that- doesn't matter how long key is on before engaging starter.)

4. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    Oh brian has many vids on youtube..he takes his time and explains things good.
    Yes ac delco for sure. Yours does not have a timing belt!
    I would replace gaskets at throttle body/air intake ect.
    This is on your 96? I made a boo boo up there on answering that member question shame on me.
    02 has the new setup 5.3 engine oh well Dan quail..can,t getem all right lol
    What is the high voltage code..seems i remember sumpin on the code.
    Starts then dies at first start warms up runs good?

5. calisdad

calisdad Full Member

retired home builder
    Thanks CC. No timing belt? Whoo hoo.

Yes it's way past time to upgrade the injectors. Just throwing gas money away.
    I just checked the codes and the high voltage one didn't reset! 1345 I think it was. Last thing I did was the IAC (so many acronyms- so little time)

It did however reset the P0175 code (rich- bank 2). Just reinforces the injector upgrade I suppose.

Yes- JUMPS to life in the morning. I live in a small town so SOP is drive 2 to 5 miles to run the dogs. Get back in and it turns over and in about 4 or 5 seconds it fires- then dies. Then it starts up and I'm on my way. It makes no difference how long I have the key on before engaging the starter. If I'm really really really lucky maybe the injector upgrade will fix this? So do you think an average shade tree can do this or should I take it in?

thanks again.

6. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    If you had a way to watch the vids at the truck..laptop ect. You could do it. Neat about the upgrade all fits right back where old was.
    Your symptom sounds like a either a bad regulator..which you get new on upgrade..or fuel pump .I remember this high voltage code now but will not be 1345
    That is for ckp/cam sensor. But seems the voltage was over my big head lol
    I would check fuel pressure just to see if it holds at 58..this guy says 50 not right.... you can do these mech. work can be fun if you troubleshoot right if your body will let you!!. www.troubleshootmyvehicle.com/gm/4.3L-5.0L-5.7L/how-to-test-the-fuel-pump-1
    www.troubleshootmyvehicle.com/gm/4.3L-5.0L-5.7L/testing-the-spider-fuel-injector-1

7. calisdad

calisdad Full Member

retired home builder
    Well wish me luck chevychase. I just ordered the upgraded spider on Amazon with gaskets and a fuel filter for $300. Long overdue.

Thanks for the help and inspiration.

8. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    Your mighty welcome cdad...i know you can Getter Done bud.

9. calisdad

calisdad Full Member

retired home builder
    DONE! And it started up on the first try! christmas13 042.jpg

The only mystery was this leftover electrical connection. I know I didn't remove it. It's at the very end of the wire loom and I'm guessing when they changed out my engine it didn't have a knock sensor? Haven't had time to check much else.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. If I had known it was this easy I would have done it years ago. Brian's videos were a great help.

Happy New Year! :applaud:

chevychase and (deleted member) like this.
  10. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    WOOHOO i knew you could do it...on the connector should have a knock sensor passenger side low on block beside the starter area.
    Also look on the back of power steering pump for a place to connect it 97 has assist maybe 96?..you may have power assist steering?? Also is your temp light/gauge working? i see green wire maybe it. Looks clean like it has been connected . Take your time look over good if it connects somewhere you will find it .
    Location of knock sensor ..all ecm/computer controlled vehicles have a knock sensor somewhere..newer 5. 3 ect has 2 under the intake.
    Yours here. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.