4 wheel drive not working?

Discussion in 'Toyota Truck Forum' started by MattX13, Mar 5, 2011.

1. MattX13

MattX13 Full Member

#1 MattX13, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
    Well, I went from one '89 Toyota pickup, to a '90 4 Runner which turned out to be a gas guzzler, so I traded it for another '89 pickup, which is in better condition than the first one I had.
    Anyway,,,,,,,,,,

Today I was screwing around in my yard and tried to go up a steep hill and got stuck. Apparently 4wd isn't working. The hubs are locked, shifter in 4H, 4wd light is on, and the back wheels will spin while the front just sit there. What do I check first? I have the manual, and can probably handle most jobs, I just suck at diagnosing problems unless I can plainly see what's wrong.

edit: I think I found the problem. The cv joint boots are ripped and I found a broken piece of metal inside the boot. Not sure what it is, but it is a problem. The grease in the boot is gritty too. Guess I'll be replacing the front joints and axles.

2. MattX13

MattX13 Full Member

Here is the piece I found.

[​IMG]

3. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

you can buy both front shafts rebuilt for about $60 each, buy the bushing kit for the stabilizer bar while you are at it, as pulling the bar bolt is easier than the bearing to get them out

4. MattX13

MattX13 Full Member

At least my luck is consistent. The axle is loose and rattling now. So I parked it until I can take it apart and work on it.

5. MattX13

MattX13 Full Member

Thanks. Luckily, the guy I got it from works for O'reillys Auto Parts and said he'd hook me up with whatever I need. I hope that means a decent discount. :)
    After looking at parts diagrams, the chunk of metal I found is from the lower joint on the axle, so hopefully the wheel bearings are still good and all I have to do is replace the axles.

6. MattX13

MattX13 Full Member

Well, it was just the joint in the axle that broke. I removed the upper part of the axle so I can drive it for now. The guy I got it from said he could get the part for around $40.