92 k1500 4x4 no fuel won't start

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by hi-perfcam, Mar 18, 2010.

1. hi-perfcam

hi-perfcam Full Member

body shop collision tech/carpenter/gunsmith
    my 92 chevy died just like it ran out of gas. I immediatly notice that i can't hear the fuel pump running. so i checked with a test light and no power at tank. then i checked the relay and it is good. if i jump a test wire from the orange wire on the relay to the grey wire, i can hear the pump come on. but even with the jump wire on it will not start. if i pour some gas down the tbi it starts right up.other than the cpu what else keeps the fuel from the tbi?? again I've checked fuses and the relay, with the key on there is no pump noise, but if you put power to it it works.

2. gpmorgan

gpmorgan Auto Banned

forklifts and equip tech
    i would take the relay apart and sand the contact tips in it and then try. it worked on mine and its free. still working after 5or6 years. it actually threw a code but its been so long ago i forget what it was.:confused:

3. davbell22602

davbell22602 Senior Member

I'd do a fuel pressure test. I bet its your fuel pump.

4. hi-perfcam

hi-perfcam Full Member

Ibought a new relay and it does the same thing so i know its not the relay with the jumper wire on the relay i can hear the pump run but i should check the pressure.seems weird that it starts with gas. maybe a clogged fuel filter??was hoping someelse already went through this.

5. gpmorgan

gpmorgan Auto Banned

forklifts and equip tech
    i went through it with relay. could be oil sending unit. fuel pump wiring goes through it.

6. ICEMANZ71

ICEMANZ71 New Member

college student
    my 97 chevy did the same a few weeks ago test the fuel pump and if you need to move the truck give it a shot of ether i should start the truck and keep it running just go easy on the gas so you dont stall it out i ended up putting a test on the truck and it was my fuel pump it gave enough pressure to keep it running but it wouldnt put out enough pressure to start

7. biggstkk

biggstkk Member

#7 biggstkk, Mar 19, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
    When the key is first turned ON, without the engine running, the control module will turn the fuel pump relay ON for two seconds. This builds up the fuel pressure to normal operating pressure. If the engine is not started within two seconds, the control module will shut the fuel pump OFF and wait until ignition reference pulses are present. As soon as the engine is cranked, the control module turns the relay ON, which powers the fuel pump. The control module continues to power the fuel pump during engine operation. If the fuel pump relay fails, it is backed up by the oil pressure switch, which continues to operate the fuel pump as long as oil pressure remains above 28.0 kPa (4 psi).

That being said check your Ignition module. If it's not sending the PCM a reference signal while the engine is cranking then it won't turn the fuel pump on. It's very common for the Ignition Modules to fail, I went through several. Be sure to get AC Delco for this part.

The Oil Pressure Sender will only keep the engine running once it's started if the relay fails. It won't disable actually starting the engine.

8. hi-perfcam

hi-perfcam Full Member

I'm a complete moron!!! the ECM fuse under the dash was blown.....DUH!

9. gpmorgan

gpmorgan Auto Banned

forklifts and equip tech
    at least it was a cheap repair. cool:applaud:

10. 436'd skylark

436'd skylark Senior Member

Mac Tool Distributor
    glad you have it fixed. my first thought was to check and see if the SES light was on..