Difference in 5.3 and 6.0 chevy engine?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by Elaine, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Elaine

Elaine New Member

Hello all..
    My question is if there is a big difference in a 5.3 engine and a 6.0 engine as far as gas miliage and usage?
    Thanks,
    Elaine

2. junior3382

junior3382 Senior Member

Used vehicle salesman, JEEPS mostly
    Currently, I live in Lancaster county, Pennsylvani
    Home Page:
    Welcome to the forum:
    As a general rule, the smaller the liters, the better the mileage. However, this is hard to answer if we are not comparing apples to apples. I mean take a 6.0 that is brand new and offered with the AFM system, VS a 5.3 that is four years old and not equipped with one. The 6.0 will offer more power and better gas mileage.... so hard to say. What are you looking at? A new truck? Brand new or pre-owned? Perhaps a bit more info may help to narrow a better answer for ya.

schweikertcharl likes this.
  3. Faster4344

Faster4344 Senior Member

still in high school(haul scrap)
    well juniors right but the 6.0 is in the 3/4 tons besides the vortech max and the ss but if u plan to get one of those well then i wouldnt worry bout gas mileage b/c its either bad or really bad but 3/4 tons are heavier and therefore worse on gas. but a truck isnt ment to get good gas i guess either!

4. Faster4344

Faster4344 Senior Member

still in high school(haul scrap)
    P.S where abouts are you from ELaine??? im from upstate ny too!

anyway both the motors are a good motor and their runners for sure!! they pull nice for a truck but like junior said what kinda truck is it in and what do u plan to use it for??

5. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

Yes there is, if you are planning on using it as a truck and working it! no if its a drive around and look good truck

6. schweikertcharl

schweikertcharl Full Member

optimization tech/sawmill
    I have a 3/4ton crew with the 8.1 and it gets about 13.5 mpg. Now that is towing a 8.5K lbs. trailer. The 6.0 is a high rev fairly torqey motor that my buddy has and pulling a trailer he get worse milage than me. But while on the freeway, unloaded he pulls about 18mpg. I've been told that the 5.3 is the best of the bunch for milage but lacks in power. I suppose if you pull a trailer of any size you would want to go with the 6.0?

Also, the 6.0 does come in the 1500HD which is a 1/2ton, so don't worry about getting into a 3/4ton if you don't need it.

mudseeker likes this.
  7. obananna

obananna Senior Member

Factory
    I would like to know what your friend has done to his truck cause I have a 6.0 in an 03 and the best I can get with that is 14 on the highway.

8. hotrodpc

hotrodpc Senior Member

yes schewik, please do tell how the **** you are getting 13.5 with a 8.1 and your buddy getting 18 in a 6.0. That is awesome mileage for both of those rigs. My bro has an 8.1 and he hates it for the mileage. He gets 13 on the highway empty and 10 in town. Another buddy not happy with the mileage with a 6.0. The very best I have gotten with a 5.3 is 22 in an empty Avalache with the wind behind me, cruise set at 72mph. Otherwise my avg in the 2003 5.3 Avy is like 19.5 on the highway empty. My 2002 Avy did not do that well but it had 4.10's instead of 3.73.

9. schweikertcharl

Just a k&n cold air intake and flowmaster exhaust with some factory tweeking is all on my 8.1! I don't pull my trailer over 60mph.

10. schweikertcharl

Also I am just going by what I was told on my friends 6.0. I like the 8.1. If the milage was that bad I would ditch it.