Front Wheel alignment on 1991 K1500

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by FinallyFlying, Nov 22, 2010.

1. FinallyFlying

FinallyFlying Full Member

I just bought new tires for my '91 K1500. The old front tires had worn unevenly...mostly on their outside edges. I figured it needed a wheel alignment so took it by the local Chevy dealership. The service writer said that the wheel alignment on this truck was not adjustable. He said he could remove the "knock-out plugs" and maybe improve the tire wear a bit but he recommended against it saying it usually made things worse and that it's better to leave it alone.

Is this correct information? I've had problems with this dealership before so I'm skeptical of everything they tell me. Can the wheel alignment really not be adjusted on these trucks?

2. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    I use to align vehicles. You can get it aligned you can set toe, caster , and camber on your truck. Take it too a alignment shop that specializes in alignments.
    Some places don,t want to fool around with older vehicles. There is not a vehicle made you can not at least set toe on. Yours is toed in too much wearing outside , and maybe camber needs
    a little adjustment.

3. Oldmech

Oldmech Full Member

Retired
    /signed. IIRC you have to use shims in the a arm bushings, and toe in is easily set.... but of course, its been 18 years since I set foot on the hunter alignment rack.........

4. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    Your right oldmech. Except for 4x4,s they have cam bolts for camber. 18 years since you been on alignment rack. Should see one today lasers ect. Whole lot wild stuff just to get a alignment. If a person wanted too could get a string, tape measure, and a level do just as good if knew specs on vehicle.;)

5. Oldmech

Oldmech Full Member

Retired
    Oh thats right, an eccentric, just turn the bolt... man thats bringing back bad memories.. I hated doing alignments. :)

6. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

I had my 93 trucks plugs knocked off when the truck was under warranty many moons ago and since then I have only had it aligned once and my tires look good with no bad wear. The guy is full of it.