how do you remove ignition key tumbler on a 1963 Chevy truck?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by 88fivespd, May 10, 2010.

1. 88fivespd

88fivespd Full Member

I am changing the ignition switch on a 1963 Chevy truck. I can't get the key tumbler out of the old switch. I know there is a small round hole there that you stick a wire or something in to get the tumbler to come out. I'm sure it's pretty simple if you know the trick to it.

Does the key have to be in any certain position, off, on or start? Is it best to use a drill bit or wire? Does the drill bit or wire have to be smaller than the largest size that will fit in that hole so it can be worked to the side? Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

2. coadster

coadster Senior Member

Not sure about way back when, but in my 97, the key needs to be in the on position. Shove something sturdy and skinny in the hole, and wiggle the tumbler out. It might take a couple tries depending.

3. wild bill

wild bill Senior Member

the little hole is for a paper clip

4. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

Or a toothpick and get a bigger hammer that will take it out. I'm being silly good luck on removing the key.
    GMC :no:

5. 88fivespd

88fivespd Full Member

I got it out using a paper clip. Thank You to all who replied.

6. crabtruck

crabtruck Senior Member

Good deal 88fivespd - how far was the key turned to remove cylinder ?

7. 88fivespd

88fivespd Full Member

I'm not sure, I was playing with it and the tumbler came out. The switch that was in there was from NAPA and was different from the original equipment switch. I think the NAPA switch was in the ON position when the hole in the tumbler lines up to release it. I still had the original switch, that I replaced about 15 years ago, laying on the dash of the truck. Hard to believe but true. I found the problem not to be the switch when I replaced it before, so I thought I could put the original switch back in but it no longer springs back from the start position, so I will be calling around tomorrow trying to find a switch to order. FWIW the hole in the original key tumbler which I just removed lines up with the release pin in the original switch in the OFF position.

The reason I am replacing the NAPA switch is because it would engage the starter when shutting the engine off. When turning the engine off the starter would engage when the switch was turned about halfway off to OFF. If you quickly turned the key to ACC no problem as long as you knew how to operate it. NO the starter would not operate if you just turned the switch ON without the engine running and then turned it to OFF. The original switch had no ACC position. I hope replacing the switch solves the problem.

8. semocoachworks

semocoachworks Senior Member

Maintenance Manager for a 60 truck fleet and 4 loc
    Off topic but you should post pics of the 63!

9. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

I second that let us see that bad boy.

10. 88fivespd

88fivespd Full Member

It's a C60(2ton) with a 14 foot wood grain box, not a show pickup truck. Besides that I haven't figured out how to post pictures. Thanks for your intrest.