losing coolant :(

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by keithr0005005, Jan 14, 2008.

1. keithr0005005

keithr0005005 Senior Member

alright well im loosing coolant...a lot of it and i cant find where its going haha. i can smell it but i cant find a drop to save my life. i dont think its a bad headgasket because my oil is clean as a whistle. any ideas? Its a 98 with a vortec 350...oh ya and for those that were helping me out this passed week with my other problem it was a defective fuel pump so the truck is running great now! thanks for all your help

2. ryeja

ryeja Senior Member

How much is alot? Could be intake manifold gasket. Does the exhaust smell sweet and look abnormally white? Could try a pressure test of the cooling system and rad cap as well.

3. bjf1280

bjf1280 Full Member

same truck same problems

It seems like you and I bought the same truck. I'm glad I could help with the fuel pump, it took a while figure it out. My 1998 5.7 is losing anti freeze as well, If you find your leak let me know because I'm ready to torch my truck.

4. 03chevy

03chevy Senior Member

factory warehouseman
    most of your gm truck lose coolant/antifreeze through your intake buy the firewall mainly on the passager side. but you have to replace both. it helps to change the antifreeze to green. flushout the dexcool that is your real problem it eats the gaskets it not made for regular gaskets.

5. keithr0005005

keithr0005005 Senior Member

i lose like a half gallon a week! and yes the exhaust is kind of white but i wouldnt quite call it excessive...its kind of hard to tell because it is cold out and generally in the winter you can see your exhaust fumes.

6. fbhart@wk.net

fbhart@wk.net Senior Member

my 2000 old style chevy 3/4 ton with 350 was losing coolant, it was the valve cover gaskets. had to be replaced
    was told later by a man that worked with gm that the problem started when they changed to the orange coolant.
    however gm made a millions changing out the gaskets, mine was a $400 dollar job. He said to drain and flush system and put the old stuff back in and problem would be sloved.

7. fbhart@wk.net

fbhart@wk.net Senior Member

sorry about my last reply, not valve cover gasket leaking coolant (dumb) intake manifold gasket leaking coolant.
    Sorry about that!!

8. bjf1280

bjf1280 Full Member

intake

I was just told my problem is the intake manifold gasket as well, is 400 the going price for my 1998 Z71 5.7?

9. jimbo543

jimbo543 Senior Member

GM/MOPAR certified tech
    check your block heater also, very common to leak

10. gerryl98

gerryl98 Full Member

Where is this located?