Need radiator for 1996 Chevy 3500 454

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by mister k, Jul 4, 2013.

1. mister k

mister k Senior Member

Any ideas where to get a radiator for my rig? New they are almost 300 bucks. Wow

I got a 1996 Chevy Crewcab 3500 (1 ton), 2 WD, 454 A/C, auto trans

AND how easy is it to change them out?

2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

easy to change...might be able to recore yours cheaper

3. Oldmech

Oldmech Full Member

Retired
    Do people recore the aluminum rads? used to have it done all the time with the copper ones...

Usually.. by the time you "fix" or repair a radiator, the cost of buying a replacement isn't too far off. I would worry that after paying to have it fixed that it will develop another problem/leak. Call the shops, see what they quote you.
    i think even from a junk yard you will be paying at least half the cost of a new one. Piece of mind with a new radiator is worth something, even if it means Ramen noodles for a couple weeks.

Swapping them out isnt too tuff.. Yours have the engine oil cooler on it?
    The most difficult part is usually breaking the trans and engine oil coller lines loose, and making sure the o rings on them are good when you put them back into the new/used rad..
    Ten MM socket and extension to unbolt the shroud. Lift the top half of the shroud out. Unhook the lines and hoses, unbolt the brackets that hold the radiator in, and slide the old rad up and out.
    Inspect the rubbers that hold your radiator in place. make sure they are in good shape, if the new rad rubs on anything besides those rubbers it will have a new hole in it in just a few days.

TIP;
    Any time you install a new thermostat.. drill a 1/8 inch hole through the flange anywhere out of the way of the sealing surface. Why? That seemingly tiny hole will allow you to fill the radiator without worrying about "burping" the air out of it, and possibly overheating the engine if it gets airlocked. that hole allows you to simply FILL the rad.. let it dribble down, and finish filling it. No more geysers shooting out the fill neck like Old Faithful!!

4. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    $300.00 good price for a new rad. for big block. Would not want to waste money on a used one!!
    On the thermostat trick..can drill hole a little cheaper. Or get one with a jiggle valve..or pre-drilled hole..

5. 96silverado

96silverado Full Member

Post #3 & #4
    = *like*

6. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    Post # 5 like.. because you like #3..#4

7. scavanger

scavanger Full Member

machinest working on retireing come June 2015
    Do a search on Amazon.com I found a good one on there fro a 95 GMC was the 35 in wide I think with 2 1/2 thick core. this was last winter cost me $141 free shipping.
    can't remember the brand off hand but did some checking and was a good company based in Canada it shipped from Virginia if I remember correctly.

8. mister k

mister k Senior Member

9. mister k

mister k Senior Member

I will have to look to see if it has an engine oil cooler on it. My guess is that it will have 4 cooler lines going to the radiator. (two for the tranny and two for the oil)

I wonder if the rads are the same for both applications and you just plug off the oil cooler if the truck isn't equipped with it. ??

My stock radiator has those cheesey plastic side tanks and it is cracked at the inlet port. I did a lot of searching and have come to the conclusion that plastic tanks are NOT repairable (not matter how many gimmicks are out there). Called a few shops and they said buy new. I agree.

I found a website that says they have an all aluminum one for 182 bucks. I will give them a call tomorrow...

I posted the webpage but it appears I am not allowed to do so. :(

a few other website have new ones for $200. (unsure of shopping costs though)

Interesting concept about drilling a hole in the T-stat. It sounds like a good idea as long as it doesn't hamper warm up time.

10. scavanger

scavanger Full Member

machinest working on retireing come June 2015
    182 bucks is not a bad price for an all aluminum . as long as it has thick enough cores .Make very sure it has the right cooler line connections. also does yours have an engine oil cooler, that usually adds a fair amount on the price . Also check where it is made. Lots are made in China.