slow acceleration

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by dj79, Mar 17, 2007.

1. dj79

dj79 New Member

I have 2000 silverado 5.3 70k on it. when I take off from a stop it has slow acceleration until it picks up rpm around 2500-3000 and then it takes off. This happens mostly when I first start it. Any ideas?

2. junior3382

junior3382 Senior Member

Used vehicle salesman, JEEPS mostly
    Currently, I live in Lancaster county, Pennsylvani
    Home Page:
    First let me say welcome to the site..

If this is happening when the engine is cold, I would be careful stomping on it anyways, thats a good way to wear out your rings. When the engine is cold, the oil has circulated enough yet. However, it is odd to have a delay in power like that anyways, I would check transmission fluid, and the condition of your air filter. If the tranny is dragging or there is not enough air flow, the engine will bog a bit. Also, that is about the recommended mileage for a tune up, when did you give it one last? Anyways, I would let the bad boy warm up a bit before you romp on it too much.

3. dj79

dj79 New Member

This happens even when I let it warm up in the morning before going to work. The trans fluild is clean not dark at all. I replaced the air filter and didnt help. The truck is stock and throws no codes.

4. junior3382

junior3382 Senior Member

Home Page:
    Try a can of dry fuel and or injector cleaner through a full tank. Sometimes moisture or even carbon build up can slow it down....

5. dj79

dj79 New Member

Thanks for the help

6. junior3382

junior3382 Senior Member

Home Page:
    Let us know if it works, and maybe more symptoms if it doesn't and there a buch of great guys on here that can help you more. Good luck.

7. GR8wht2000GMC

GR8wht2000GMC Full Member

i have the same type of symptoms on my 2000 7.4. only worse!!!!!!!! every time i start it it acts like it has NO *** for about 30 seconds or so. sputtering and popping thru intake. then without moving my foot on the throttle at all, it comes to life and runs fine until i shut it off.extremely predictable, will act up every time i start it hot or cold. i have done this stuff so far..........fuel pump,pressure reg., cap, wires, plugs, rotor, new dual exhaust, beem to a reputable mechanic twice and to mr good ratchet once the above corrective actions were all results of advise from these guys. the only codes ive ever had are po171, and po174...lean both banks. many have told me about intake gaskets on this motor. i have no intake leaks from the outside. possible leaks internal? any help here would be great. sorry for the off topic reply tho

8. chrisjordan

chrisjordan Member

just bought a 1999 chevy 1/2 ton 5.3 auto today and it is doing the same thing, has anybody figured it out yet?