uneven tire wear on outside of front tires

Discussion in 'Ford Truck Forum' started by F350 Custom, Jul 29, 2009.

1. F350 Custom

F350 Custom Member

Yes it does it more on bumpy and uneven roads

2. bradrhale

bradrhale Senior Member

County Environmental Health Inspector
    good tread, bad tread, good tread = overinflated tires.

3. BernieB

BernieB Senior Member

Okay, now I'm confused... You said it was worn on the outside egde, but you just said good, bad, good, which would mean the center is wearing, and as Brad says, that's overinflation. Wear on both edges (inner and outer) with good center tread would be underinflation.

If it's patchy around the circumference of the tire then that's usually worn suspension, mostly bad shocks or struts, or really unbalanced wheels and tires.

Here's a link to some simple tire wear pattern diagrams: HOW TO READ TIRE WEAR

4. lukasmcdukas

lukasmcdukas Senior Member

Engineer
    that sounds like you're getting some serious wobble... the only thing i can think of that would cause wear like that is a bent steering or suspension component... my old jeep had a bent something or other... tower bar? someone help me out, the name is escaping me... connected the two front wheels, part of the steering assembly... brother towed a buddy out of a hole with it (whoops) and bent it, caused the front wheels to splay outward like a teenage girls legs on prom night... EXTREME toe-out. wobbled so bad the front end was bouncing off the ground at 25 mph. you might have a less severe case of a toe-in or toe-out problem. or maybe the lugnuts arent torqued down properly? i would examine the steering components for bent parts and definitely check the torque on the lugnuts. let us know what you find out!

5. lukasmcdukas

lukasmcdukas Senior Member

Engineer
    man, im just too slow with the posts tonight, i keep repeating what someone else already said. by the way Bernie, good link!