Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 85 K10 - Which Transfer Case???

85 K10 - Which Transfer Case???

OK dudes, and there is a couple of chicks too, here is your chance to help me out. I am not up or very knowledgable about these straight axle 4x4's. Anyone know what transfer case was more than likely came factory in this truck I bought? And will it matter which one I go with as far as bolting in? Here is what I know about the truck even though it does not have the RPO code sticker in the glove box. It was orignally a 6.2 Diesel. Obviously had 700r4 trans since the shift indicator on the dash shows the OD. It has sissy gear of 3.08. 10 bolt front axle w/ auto locking hubs and 10 bolt rear axle. Not sure if the crossmember will tell anything, but here is a pic of a crossmember like the one that came with the truck and a pic of the trans case shifter in case it makes a differace. This will be a whole new experience to me. Just the transfer case and front axles parts.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    85 Sierra Classic K1500
    85 Silverado K10
    84 Silverado C20

new process 208 transfer case

shd

So if it more than likely came with a 208, how hard will it be to install a 205? Should I be able to use the same crossmember and Xfer case shifter? What would the 205 have come in so I can look for it. I am assuming the 208 is the one that is shift on the fly under 25mph, but the 205 is not?
    85 Sierra Classic K1500
    85 Silverado K10
    84 Silverado C20

Thanks for the info you PM'ed me SHD. Big help. I think I am going to shoot for the NP205 for T400 and 32 spline. I would really like to do a SM465 or NV4500, but I am sure they are more rare. More rare usually means harder to find and more expensive. Also me being able to build my own Auto trans, I can break all those I want and not feel to bad about it, although I say its highly doubtful to break the T400. I could have gone T350 too, but I think I want to leave the option open for either one of my Pontiac 400 engines, or my Olds 455 engine. It will be differant, but I sure like a challenge, and I like it even better when it can all be bolted in and no cutting, modifications or aftermarket adapters. I think I can do it. I am thinking I am going to be upgrading this truck to 3/4 ton drivetrain too. I have that light duty 3/4 ton out back. Take the spring hangers, springs and the 9.5 in 14 bolt GM Corp 4.10 rear end and put under this truck, then find a 3/4 or 1 ton front differentioal. Probably a Dana 44. But, I still want to keep the 6 lug, and I am fairly certain that can be done too. So it will still appear half ton. Anyone think it can't be done, or let me know reasons why not please. Again, I am new to these 73-87 4x4 straight axle front diffs. So if you know something I don't, please share it. Thanks.
    Last edited by hotrodpc; 09-12-2009 at 06:51 PM.
    85 Sierra Classic K1500
    85 Silverado K10
    84 Silverado C20

I wish I could give some helpful ideas but I as well do not know about GM's straight front axles. Hopefully I can stand off to the side and look over your shoulder and learn with/from you. If you don't mind, metaphorically speaking.
    sig by crmzendrgone

I don't mind at all. The more people can learn the better. You seem to have that thirst for knowledge like I did and still do to this say. I will never forget, one of the very few things my dad said to me when I was younger that made sense.. Get all the education you can get, and learn all you can learn, especially when its free education, that education and knowledge is about the only thing that can not be taken away from you. Bank can come get your car, your house, someone can tears the clothes off your back, steal your wallet, steal your identity and clean out your bank account, but noone can take away your knowledge. (Sure you could have a head injury, but lets hope not).
    85 Sierra Classic K1500
    85 Silverado K10
    84 Silverado C20

I like that, I think I will adapt that to everyday thinking. I will even teach my son that if that's ok with you and your dad. My father thinks that way to but never put it that way. Makes sense that way.
    sig by crmzendrgone

By all means, spread the word. If everyone in the world would take the intiative to get educated in something it would likely be a better world to live in.
    85 Sierra Classic K1500
    85 Silverado K10
    84 Silverado C20

True very true. I am glad my father is old enough to be my "great dad" he has "old ways of thinking and I think there is not enough of that anymore. Luckily I was made to pass it on.
    sig by crmzendrgone

my bet would be the NP208........ If it was a full time 4x4 you wouldn't have a 2x4 option...... that would be a np203.(I believe.)
    The np208 isn't a bad transfercase, Its lighterweight, just not gear driven...... there is a upgrade kit for them that runs about 300 or so, and It really makes them tough.... If you are going to be hitting offroad all the time, then I would suggest that you find a geardriven(np205) They are tough, and heavy, but will take some serious abuse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast