Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 76 K20 T350/NP203 14bolt Dana 44

76 K20 T350/NP203 14bolt Dana 44

What can anyone tell me good or bad about purchasing a Rough body and interior truck for $300. No Motor, No Wheels. Axles are complete drum/rotor to drum/rotor. Its a Turbo 350 trans so the guy says, I'd think should be Turbo 400 in a 3/4 ton. According to my chart, auto trans came with NP203, Manual trans came with NP205. I was really preffing NP205 and SM465, but that didn't happen. I already have a 14bolt FF 4.10 rear end in 8 lug. The front axle should be Dana 44 8 Lug in this truck. So if I am not going to be real happy with the NP203, what am I really getting other than the Dana 44 8 lug??? Anyone have anything good to say about NP203 and Full Time 4x4? Its an OBO ad, maybe he'll take $200. I don't know. Someone give me the pros and cons, and talk me out of it or in to it. He says they have the title too, but the family member whose name its in is deceased, so I do not see any advantage there either.
    85 Sierra Classic K1500
    85 Silverado K10
    84 Scottsdale C20
    91 Silverado R1500 Suburban

I would have him get the title in his name before buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by davbell22602 View Post
    I would have him get the title in his name before buying it.
    I am not concerned about title. I am concerned about parts for my 85 K10 project and being converted to K20. This body is very rough, missing parts, interior is thrashed. The truck has sat for over 9 years. The guy has it on a trailer now. I really think it was on its way to the crusher and he is just trying to see if he can get a bit more that salvage out of it, which I know the axles are worth something to somebody. 14 bolt FF and Dana 44 8 lug and not cheap and probably the worth the $300 themselves. Just that I have a 14bolt FF already. About all I'd be gaining is another headache to sit in the back yard, the NP203 with trans, and the Dana 44 8 lug. I could probably recover part of my money selling the 14bolt FF rear that I do not need. If the guy takes $200, he's getting about double what he'd get at the crusher, and I could probably get $150 for the 14 bolt FF rear end alone. So for $50, I'd have a D44 8 Lug and the NP203. I am more interested in drivetrain component opinions.
    85 Sierra Classic K1500
    85 Silverado K10
    84 Scottsdale C20

I would have to see some pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by davbell22602 View Post
    I would have to see some pictures.
    Not sure pics mean anything either. I am not interested in the rough body and thrashed interior.
    85 Sierra Classic K1500
    85 Silverado K10
    84 Scottsdale C20

I could use 14ff rear for my 90 C2500

Ill talk you out of it. Since you already have a 14B FF rear axle, this truck has very few parts that are desirable. Sure the front D44 is probably fairly desirable, but thats about as far as it goes.
    UNfortunately the Np203 is chain driven, and while it is strong, it is a full time unit that is far less than desirable. Stretched chains are common, and there are not many part time kits available that are all that strong.
    Oiling becomes a problem for these converted kits, since the chain is responsible for providing oil to the rear ouptut bearings. Since the chain no longer turns, it cant fill up the little reservior any longer, and the bearings starve. This will now require the driver to engage the front hubs, or place the vehicle in 4 wheel drive once in a while, which sort of defeats the purpose of the entire conversion in the forst place.

Now, on a different note, this front section of the transfer case can be used in front of a Np205. This section is the range section, or range box. THis is a gear to gear section designed to delect high and low range. If removed, and placed in front of a 205 transfer case, the range box can be engaged in low range, before the 205, and will work as an ultra low range splitter. Twice as low as just a 205 by itself. This is called a "doubler" and works really very well.
    Not too sure if this justifies the purchase of an entire truck, but is about the only thing that looks like it could convince me to buy this particular truck.

If I were looking for t a parts truck, I would be lookng at a CCUV military vehicle. These K30 trucks have all of the killer bells and whistles we are looking for when building or upgrading another truck.

These have the great 14B FF rear axle with a Detroit locker already installed, as well as a Np205, a Dana 60 front axle, and heavy duty steering components.
    These I have seen in the neighborhood of 900 bucks complete, though transporting them can be spendy, but can be a far better investment in the long run.
    These can come in all shapes of completion, and the price is reflected by the actual state of the truck. Many have very few miles on them, and are perfect candidates for this type of swap. Its a gold mine of parts in one truck.

Not to be arrogant, but yeah, the stuff you mention about this truck I knew, and kind what put me on the fence. And I needed to hear it again from someone who KNOWS. Thanks 75, that was the opinion I was waiting for. And I am not interested in the doubler. No intention of being that crazy. the 1.96:1 in the NP205 would be fine for me. I did not know that about the CCUV's though. I thought all K30's would have the good stuff though other than the DT Locker. I'd love to find one of those CCUV Vehicles, and rather than swap, I'd just build the CCUV, or should I say fix it up, cuz what there to build that isn't already there other than add some off road suspension parts? What would have made a huge differance on this truck, and I asked the one question right up front, is this a manual trans truck or auto trans truck. I wanted so bad to hear manual trans. If it were manual trans, it not only had the SM465 and clutch linkage, pedals etc that I'd want, it would have had a NP205 and I'd have jumped on it over the phone. I already have an NP208 also, so it'll be used until I find a NP205.
    85 Sierra Classic K1500
    85 Silverado K10
    84 Scottsdale C20

This guy just called me to tell me he is home now and I can come look at it. Honestly, I may put it in this sellers court. I am fairly certain the truck is on its way to scrap yard and why it is on the trailer and he told me used a backhoe to get it on the trailer. What's that tell you? And did he damage the frame doing that? Body and Interior are just worthless condition. If he'll take $200 and since he's already got it trailered up, and lets me use his trailer to drag it the 15 miles home and drop it off then take his trailer back, I may get it anyway. I know I can get something out of his 14bolt FF, and I'll have the T350 or T400 trans that I need to acquire also. Surely the NP203 is worth something, maybe to someone who wants to make a doubler. I think I can get my $200 back out of it with stuff I don't need or want, then I have the D44 8 lug to match my 14bolt FF. This guy does not know what these parts are anyway. He told me the rear end is a Dana 60 and I highly doubt that. He says its a Turbo 350 trans, but wouldn't a 3/4 have T400? But I am going to take a look and see what the guy has to say or what he'll take for it.
    85 Sierra Classic K1500
    85 Silverado K10
    84 Scottsdale C20

I went and looked it. Its exactly what I expected. No suprises other then according to the RPO codes it does have a G80 Locking Rear Diff. Big Whoop !!! Tag on front D44 says 45-11 then 4.09 which is as close to 4.10 it will come so assuming the rear 14bolt FF is also 4.10. It is a Turbo 350 but RPO codes say M40 which means it was originally a Turbo400 and its been changed. So I got all excited hoping the Tcase had been changed too. Nope, speedo cable comes in the driver side, not the passenger side, so its a NP203. Kinda got into an arugument with the guy, he said its not FULL TIME 4wd that you can shift it into 2hi. Told him, not on a 203, so he jumped inside that nasty filthy full of junk cab and dug around looking at the shifter for the Tcase then said, Oh guess your right, that sucks. He said another guy is coming to look at it that wants to make a toy project out of it. Its alot of work to do that even. Whole body is scrap. I'd give the guy more money for just the frame, axles and Tcase than the whole truck so I would not have to deal with s******** the body sheet metal. So I told the guy I was showing my buds the pics I took and I'd get back to him to go ahead and show it to that other guy. If the other guys turns it down too, he's more likley to accpet my $200 and I'll give him $25 for gas to deliver it to my house since its on his trailer already. Does have a clear title too, and I have a 81 perfect cab, front clip and a bit on the rough side bed, that I'd put it back together for a property truck only. It would not be a daily driver at all. Just for the property and nowhere else. My dad needs a 4x4 out there. I'd put my K10 axles in it, and snag the D44 4.09 ratio out of this for my 85 K-10 build. Here's a couple pics just for you Dave.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    85 Sierra Classic K1500
    85 Silverado K10
    84 Scottsdale C20

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast