Thread: 98 chevy s10 starter/electrical problems.

Question 98 chevy s10 starter/electrical problems.

Ok, first post on the forum hopefully I donít screw it up. So I have a 98 Chevy S-10 with a manual transmission and a 4 cylinder engine. I had taken it in and gotten the clutch fixed because the clutch release valve was not working. To do that they had to pull out the transmission. I got it back and it worked great, everything was hunky dory. I drove it for about 2 days and then I went out to start it the next morning and it acted like the battery was dead. I jumped it and let it run for about 15 minutes and then parked it and tried to start it and it acted like it was dead again. Looked at the battery gauge and noticed that it was at nine volts which wouldnít even give me a ďclickĒ when I turned the key. I sat there staring and the gauge at 9 volts for about 20 seconds wondering why my battery went dead as it had been fine for quite some time when it all of a sudden jumped to 12-13 volts and my dash lights came on. I then turned the key and was able to get a click out of the cylinoid on the starter but it would not turn over. I figured **** my starter is dead. So I pulled out my starter and the cylinoid. I put the starter on the bench and hooked it up to a battery and it worked fine. I hooked the cylinoid back up to it and tried to make them both work and couldnít get it to. I went and got a new cylinoid and put it on the starter and stuck it all back in there and the same thing happened.

In testing all of the power combinations on the cylinoid I found that I was getting 12 volts on the large terminal and when I turned the key it dropped to 0. On the small terminal I was only getting about 5 volts when I turned the key. When I tested the battery and turned the key it dropped to 0 and then went back up to 12 when I stopped. I think I may have a dead short somewhere or something but have not been able to track it down. If anybody can make any sense of all that and give me a suggestion it would greatly be appreciated. Iíve already double checked every connection I can find for a short/corrosion but havenít located any.

Frustrated,
    Tim

Gmc
    Have you load tested your battery?
    1988 GMC shortbox stepside 4x4 5.7 5spd