Thread: 1987 Chevy 2x4 into a 4x4??

1987 Chevy 2x4 into a 4x4??

Hello im new to this site and have a question that im hoping someone here can answer for me. I have a 1987 Chevy truck that I no longer drive but its in great shape and runs perfect, the reason I never use it anymore is because its a 2x4 truck and doesnt work well for my line of work. My question is if its possible to make the truck into a 4x4 because im being told by some friends that people do it all the time. The truck is an auto with a newer 383, a local spring shop here where I live made it a bit stronger a few years ago so I could haul large amounts of weight, if that makes any difference at all.
    Im not someone who could do this work myself but would like to know if its possible and worth paying someone to do for me, this would make a real nice spare truck and a great snow plow truck I believe if its possible. The truck has been torn down to frame about 7 years ago and rebuilt and looks almost new other then the inside that is which isnt too bad.
    Thanks for the help and if you need more info just let me know, looking forward to reading what you all say, thanks agian.

It can be done but won't be worth it. You would be better off selling that truck and buying another one that allready has 4wd.

yaeh it can be done. the easy way is to get a 4x4 (rolling frame) and put the body and motor and tranny on it. but if you want to use your frame the front end will need a little fab work. a little more time and work and money
    A dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste!

Currently, I live in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania.
    lots of work, and sort of a head ache. For that year, you should be able to find a 4x4, probably even lifted for less money then it would cost you to do a conversion here.

Thanks alot guys, I think since its not going to be easy I will just sell it off and go with something different, my other idea was to take the bed off and install a flat bed to put my salt speader on and use it for a salt truck, also thought about putting a plow on it also if the weight of the spreader was on the back was enough to move snow, we only get like 5 inch snow storms around here, most are more like 2-3 inch, just ideas though and if anyone has anyother good ideas just let me know and thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by junior3382 View Post
    lots of work, and sort of a head ache. For that year, you should be able to find a 4x4, probably even lifted for less money then it would cost you to do a conversion here.

Wrong.
    I did it on a crew cab, Its pretty straight forward. You will need to swap the center section of the floor to clear the shifter for the transfer case. Minor welding skills needed or you can use screws and screw the new center section in like the old Jeeps did. Other option is remove the crossmember from the 4x4 frama and use your current frame (it a pain to do it that way)
    Window tint its for window, Not for tail lights. Don't be that guy .