Thread: 88 silverado dash brake light

88 silverado dash brake light

hi i have an 88 silverado stepside 2wd it has rear antilock brake system does anybody know why the brake warning light flashes on and off on my dash as soon as this first happened i replaced the rear shoes (strange they were only worn on the front leading shoe in the middle only, both sides the same, the rear shoes have about 80% life, is this normal?) wheel cylinders are not seized one had a small leak so replaced both the wheel cylinders and replaced/bled the brake fluid front disc pads are about 60% life left. light is still on and flashing it is not the emergency brake as warning light does not flash when ebrake engaged can anybody help?

z07
    As I recall the '88 ABS was rear only. The flashing light means you've got a stored code with the ABS system. I don't know how to pull it without a Vetronics Tech 1 tool with the proper ABS pin E cable and mass storage cartridge. You could try taking it to a Pepboys et al and see if they can pull or reset the code for you. Or you could disconnect your battery for 20 minutes and see if the code resets itself. It could be that the system detected the leak and set a code that doesn't automatically clear when the problem goes away.

Go back about 4 pages and read the thread Brake Warning Light Problem posted by Jessie. You can check everything suggested there. Also tells you how to pull fault codes in vehicle without code reader.

Welcome to the forum joecuccovia.
    Here's a link
    Brake Warning Light Problem

flashing brake warning light fixed

hi thanks for the tips i disconnected the battery for a while and reconnected it seems to have fixed the problem. anyone know why my rear brake shoes only the front leading shoe has worn out (the middle of the shoe only)the rear shoe is almost as new, both sides the same. you would think that in 1988 chevrolet would have perfected the drum brake my 1954 chevy car seems to have a better set up, although not self adjusting, anyone else have the same problem?

z07
    Glad to hear good news re: the flashing light.

So far as the shoe wear goes, when I adjust drums I wind them out until the shoes drag the drum when I spin the hub and it becomes hard to spin. Then I back off the adjustment until is spins easier but still drags a tiny amount. I always sand the shoe's friction surface to knock off any glaze and do the same to the drums. The automatic adjuster is worthless IMHO.

If yours are adjusted correctly then I wonder if it is time for you to replace all the springs and clips too. I almost never replace that stuff when I do brakes unless there is some part that I see has failed or is about to.

What I would expect to see in there is the leading edge of the shoes worn not just the middle of the front shoe.

You may need a stiffer bias spring in the proportioning valve assembly.

Glad to hear no signs of trouble showing, would have been good to check for code first.
    Also after checking for code a rwal reset of light could have been done by pulling the Stop/Haz fuse for 10 seconds.
    This does not work for ZPRWAL (3500HDs) or 4WAL.