Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lifter Noise

Lifter Noise

Hello everyone new to this site. I own a 2000 chevy S10 with 122,000 miles on the odo. with a bad lifter noise. My question is with these many miles what would be better; change the lifters, or to do a engine rebuild. How much would it cost to do both repairs.thxz Luis

Currently, I live in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania.
    Welcome to the site Luis:
    Okay first you need to consider the cause of the noise. Perhaps low oil, or a failing oil pump is not allowing the proper lubrication needed for those. However, knowing if it is a more severe problem would certainly help you answer this question. I would not immediately jump to rebuilding the motor if a simplier and more cost effective way can be accomplished. Now a few things, I assume the truck in your avitar is the truck in question, looks like a 2wd, is it a 4 cyl. as well, or does it have the 4.3l? Here are a few more questions for you to help narrow this down. When was the last service? Meaning oil change, plugs wires and so on....? Okay, now as for changing just the lifters, should you need to go that route, replacing the whole head would make more sense... and if that is the case, now we are talking about rebuilding the whole motor. The miliage is way to young I would think unless under severe stress to need a complete overhaul at this point. Just my thoughts here, check the oil level and condition of the oil first, then go from there.

wrong grade of oil will cause the samething too. just for lifter noise a complete rebuild is not required. if you have a 4cly. you are going to hear lifter noise like a sowing machine.
    A dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste!

Currently, I live in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania.
    Just to add to 03Chevy here, he is right, and remember that the older it gets, the more common the noise will be. It is typical of GM. I just posted on another thread something similar, and I thought it might benifit you too, at the parts stores, even wal*mart, there is a product called "engine restorer". it works with your oil to help keep the motor quiet. Will not fix any problems but it does add to comfort levels while driving. Could try that as well. I have used it for years with no negative side effects, so you should be fine there too. Just another thought, take it for what it is...LOL.

I would first try a cleaner made just for that you would be amazed with what those addivtives can do then change your oil with high mileage oil Castrol is the only oil that keeps a first gen MPV from making loud ticking sound use the search button on MPVClub.com :: The Ultimate Mazda MPV and Mazda5 Online Community and you will see what im talking about and like other members stated use the right oil use what the owners manuel says and your engine should last a whole lot longer depending on how you take care of it now verses a overhaul I would try these things first. And WELCOME your going to get plently of help from all the cool members here.

hey yall, My wife has 1999 4.3l jimmy. The lifters where tapping real bad at startup. I've tried a lot of different additives. I was at the parts store to buy the lifters and gaskets to change them. When I seen the bottle of seafoam. I figured I would try it. I put it in and let the engine warm up and its been 3 days now and no more tapping. I dont know how long it will last but its worth a try.

I love Seafoam I use it on my truck just to keep the engine free of carbon build up and so on im telling you also Castrol Highh Mileage oil does wonders. People not wanting to use Super unleaded try a bottle of Lucas gas addivtive that stuff really works I tryed it before and it's cheaper than buy super unleaded. Write back and let us know who ever trys any of this stuff it works?

Lifter noise

Hello everyone thank you for all the replies. Yes the truck in my avatar is the truck in question it has the 4.3 v6 vortech engine. so far I had tried changing the oil pump and using the stuff they sell at advance auto parts to clean the lifters but I still get that tapping noise. I happens everytime I start up the car ,I hear it for about a minute and then it goes away. The reason that I am asking the question about changing the lifters or rebuilding the engine is because I am thinking about a v8 engine swap(350) but I still dont have enough money to get all the parts so I need to keep this engine for at least another year.
    Last edited by twin_s10; 03-28-2008 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by allthrotle View Post
    hey yall, My wife has 1999 4.3l jimmy. The lifters where tapping real bad at startup. I've tried a lot of different additives. I was at the parts store to buy the lifters and gaskets to change them. When I seen the bottle of seafoam. I figured I would try it. I put it in and let the engine warm up and its been 3 days now and no more tapping. I dont know how long it will last but its worth a try.
    I was also going to suggest Sea Foam. It's like 6 bucks for a pint of it... go with the liquid though, not the aerosol. I add this stuff to my truck every year and it works beautifully. It says right on the can that it reduces engine noise and other ticks... and that's exactly what it does. If anything, it cleans your truck and gets rid of all of the carbon and other garbage that's built up in it, and you didn't blow a ton of money.
    "You can polish a piece of junk all you want, but in the end, all you're left with is shiny junk."

Cool Lifter Noise

Hello guys After using that stuff sea foam I could only hear the noise a little bit great stuff. OK I have a question about performance. What would be better to do with a $5000.00 budget, do a v6 to v8 engine swap or to rebuild the engine that I already have? If I use the engine that I already have what performance upgrades can I do to it?Thanks a lot for all replies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast