Thread: Lost brake pressure, fluid leaked, now fine? Please help ('88 scottsdale)

Lost brake pressure, fluid leaked, now fine? Please help ('88 scottsdale)

So I was at Home Depot and decided to try and load way too much in the back of my truck. I had some stones back there and when they were loaded the truck squatted pretty badly in the back. I figure I had about a ton in the back and the truck is a 1/2 ton. Anyways I went to drive away and lost all brake pressure. The brake light came on and I looked underneath and there was fluid leaking right around the rear diff. I figured I just blew a line so I unloaded the truck and used the transmission to stop myself (MT). I get home and try to find the leak, and I can't... There was definately fluid missing from the front section of the brake master cylinder, but I refilled it and can't get it to leak again. Also, the brake light went off when I refilled it and hasn't come on again.

Any ideas why I would lose brake fluid under a load, but now it's fine?

Thanks in advance!
    Doug

88 PEDRO try checking rubber brake hose going down to rear diff sometimes they crack where hose is mounred to differential hope you find it scary not knowing

sorry mounted was what i ment

if fluid came out there is a hole lol. best way to find it is to start the vehicle and while someone watches the lines (safety goggles is a good idea here if you like bein safe haha) and pump the brakes. youll find the leak in a second.

Thanks for the advice. I did check for leaks with someone pumping the brakes though. That's whats odd. I even drove it around and came back with no leaking fluid. I parked the truck, had a friend pump the brakes several times, and couldn't find a leak and it had pedal pressure.

I noticed that there is some kinda of valve (bleeder?) attached the the mount above the rear diff. Is it possible that this leaked under really high pressure, but it's only a one-way valve?

Maybe by filling your truck it lowered enough for the brake light to turn on and air entered the system and the rear diff that's just a vent hole anyways keep looking for the leak move the rubber hoses around when someone is pressing on the brake pedal make sure the truck is on you always' want to be on the safe side take your time in looking.