Thread: 92 chevy 350 no start

Question 92 chevy 350 no start

i have a 92 chevy pu that i am able to predictably reproduce a no start condition.The vehicle will start normally , then the ignition switch is turned to the off position or to the locked position.When restarting there is no spark or fuel pulse but there is power to the coil.Relesing the key and recranking allows the vehicle to start ,turning it off again ,it will start a few times then not start.This condition happens hot or cold The ignition module was replaced with no change and the dist is one year old. I also tried a map sensor with no change.Where is the pcm located as I would like to check the power and grounds.Wiggling the ignition switch when the fault occurs seems to have no effect.Im helping a friend who is out of town right now and just trying to repair this before he gets back.Thanks for any advice Just discoverd that if i continue to crank the vehicle over for aprox 8 seconds it will begin to give both spark and fuel pulse.does the ecm (computer for the fuel injection,im a dodge mechanic] go into a prelearned mode if the cmp signal is missing?
    Last edited by zazlo; 04-19-2008 at 06:23 PM. Reason: found more info

What about the ignition switch that's on steering column. When you say will not start does it try to start or it's just dead? Mine went out and when it did it would sometimes start then it was dead to the world when you buy the new switch it comes with directions. Maybe have him drive it home and then mess with it just don't turn it off also wait a while others will chime in. Good luck! GMC
    PS-It's not the switch where you insert key into it's on the column that has a rod on it like towards the brake/gas pedel on the top part of column but the key moves the rod to start it or tell it power it up to start or turn on radio or shut off.

when it does not start, it cranks fine but has got no spark or fuel pulse at the tbi injector.thanks for the reply gmc trucks

ignition module or pick up coil.
    Joe
    89 K2500 Chevy, Wee-Oh-five 294K miles
    1962 Scout 80 parts I guess
    1966 Scout 800 resto job
    2005 Chevy 2500HD Short cab long box DURAMAX
    1996 P30, 6.5 NA Mac Mobile
    whole lot of buicks