Thread: 92 Chevy s-10 Dosent want to stay running

92 Chevy s-10 Dosent want to stay running

I have a 92 chevy s10 v6 fuel inj.

I had a a code that came up that indicated the temp sensor unit. I did replace that. I also replaced plugs and oil. When I changed the oil it did have alot of gas in it. What's going on is I will start it it will run fine but once it gets hot it will all of a sudden run like **** then die. After it die it won't start back up for another 3-4 hours. It runs like a champ when i first start it and if I just let it idle. If I drive it thats when its starts chging then it just wont run unless i let it sit. What TO do?
    Thanks fo rthe help

Currently, I live in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania.
    Welcome to the forum.
    If there is gas in the oil, then there is an internal leak. Intake or head gasket. Probably the former. And as it warms up, so the the gasskets, and probably so does the leak. I am guessing that if the temp sensor went, and you have fuel in the oil, the intake is the culprit, and the mixture of oil, air, coolant and fuel is forcing the truck to stall out. Might be time for some elbow grease and some seal replacements bud.

if you have gas in the oil you have some real problems. like jr said time to replace all gaskets. start there and get everything back together and see what you have then.
    A dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste!

Platinum Member
    the gas in the oil could just be from cranking the engine over for long periods of time with out it firing. i was able to fill my dads oil pan with about 3 quarts of gas while itried to solve his engine problems due to sitting for years. the gas just works it's way past the rings.
    <----just your average 5.3

Turning it over

Thanks for the replys guys Actually now that I changed the oil it dosent smell like gas anymore. If there was a head gasket problem there should be coolant or water in the oil and there is none,Right? Now that I have changed the oil there is no gas in the oil anymore. Im back at the Main problem. It just dosent want to stay running. What do you think I should look into first, didnt think of the intake gasket but not sure that that woudl effect it enough to where it wouldnt run at all. I mean it runs liek a champ until it get warm. But I Could let it sit forever and it would just stay running even if it was warm. It's just when I start driving. Then it stalls then wont start for a few hours. Thanks guys Let me knwo what ya think

The first thing I would check is the fuel pressure when hot. The next would be to put a meter on the throttle position sensor when hot.

Not sure

How exactlly do i check the fuel pressure and thottle postion sensor when hot? Just give me a lil guidence and I'm sure I can figure that out Thanks again for all your help

Check your grounds. If you have a bad ground that has increased resistance it makes the computer think the engine is colder than it is and makes it run very rich. Clean contack to temp sender and all engine and pcm grounds...

On how to check fuel pressure see the post a little bit down from yours. To check throttle position sensor go to the autozone.com website and you will get a full description. Really you just put a volt meter probe on the sensor wire and the other to ground, you should get about 0.1V. As you open the accelerator (engine NOT running) the voltage should increase very, very evenly up to 0.5V. Also good advice from wojeepster.