Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: sas swap on S10 blazer

Exclamation sas swap on S10 blazer

hey there im doin a sas on my 93 S10 blazer and have all parts i need theres just one thing im not sure of if yall could answer this for me , it would be greatfull ,im using a toyota axle and the chunk is on the passenger side and my t-case on the truck is on the drivers side ive had a few people tell me that i can flip that axle and it will work but im not sure if i can the steering,brakes and all that will mount up if i can flip it.but if anyone knows the awnserplease contact me on here or myspace, myspace/joeyshutt thank you .

Currently, I live in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania.
    NO. you canot flip the axle. Here is a fundamental difference in most SAS swaps. the correct axle choice for a seemingly seemless swap would be the dana 30 or 35 out of a jeep cheorkee from mid 80's through early turn of the century. But with what you have, there is potential. Here is the nice thing. the alxe you have is in some areas much stronger, though the steering needs some adjustements. The transfer case you currently have is strong, but unrelaibale for the test of time with the larger drive train. The transfer case out of the 70's and early 80's Chevy trucks run the front drive shaft to the passanger side. This TC will be stronger then yours, easy to comeby, and assuming you are running the 4L60 tranny... it will mount right up from what I understand. This will be a good platform to allow for further upgrades later to a more powerful drivetrain like a 5.7 and 700r4 transplant.

Now for the swap itself, what are you going to be running? Leaf spring swap, or coil buckets and a 4-link setup for the front axle? Are you doing this work yourself, or having it done? What size tires and gears are you planing on running?

ouch someones doin it on the forum before you jr

nah, Several people have done it before me.... I just look at is a good learning. It helps that I have researched the **** out of this, but if something I suggest, or have learned turns out NOT to work, it will help me make sure it is done right when I get to it...lol

lol learn from others mistakes

Welcome to the site:

Interesting concept. SAS using toyota stuff huh?
    Turning the axle upside down is not a good idea, because the differential center section does not have a symetrical bolt pattern, and it will not bolt up in the upside down position. This is done for a reason. This keeps people from insyalling the center section upside down, and running the wheels in the oposite direction of the other axle.
    Now, the ball on the end of the axle is responsible for keepin the knuckle attached to the axle, and this ball has holes for the bearings and king pins. These king pins are not exactly vertical, and this is where caster is designed into the axle. Turning these upside down will upset the caster and the vehicle will not steer correctly.
    Now, lets not talk about what should not be done, lets chat about what you can do.
    If you must use the toy axles, (I actually like this idea) you will simply have to change the t-case to a pass side drop. This is much easier than anything else since chebby parts are a dime a dozen, and there are no shortages of these chebby pass side drop cases.
    Now everything will be a piece of cake.
    You could also sell those axles, and buy some axles from a Jeep. You can obtain some older axles that are only slightly wider and will be stronger than a 30/35 combo
    D44's would be pretty cool.
    Next option would be to find a D44/9 inch combo from an early bronco. These are a little more difficult to find, but are just about a perfect fit.
    What r u planning on running for your suspension? Coils, coilover, leafs?
    what type of link system? Radius arm, or some multi link?

Platinum Member
    isn't a toy axle wider than rear axle of the s-10?

Wait a minute.... I have been thinging about this... havn't toyota always run IFS on the mid size trucks period? Or are we talking about an older landcruiser axle? And if this is the case, I thnks those are slightly narrower then the current chevy front IFS stance.

older toys ran solid axles for a long time. i dont think they changed till the early 90s

Platinum Member
    i'm not sure what years, but toyota trucks did have a solid front axle......i think. maybe it was the 4-runner.

i know the rear of an IFS rig is wider, maybe the front axle is the same size as the chevy.

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast