Thread: Cleaning tbi injectors

Cleaning tbi injectors

What's the best way to clean the tbi injectors? I was working on Frankenstien again yesterday and noticed the driverside injection isn't spraying as much fuel as the passanger side.
    Chevyracer8262

they are VERY hard to get apart. you could soak them in cleaner.check the o-rings inside the pods. bad o-rings could make the spray pattern look funny.also could make them drip.fuel is being forced around the injects and make it flood or run rich.oh yea... MAKE SURE YOU PUT NEW O-RINGS IN THE PODS.

Cleaning tbi injectors use Seafoam pour it down the brake booster the stuff is GOLD yes I have said it enough times but really the stuff is good and no I don't own the company. LOL
    Sea Foam

YouTube - instructions for seafoam (break booster)

Platinum Member
    i never did have a problem taking mine apart. it was a 2 brl and took me about an hour to do being it was the first time i have ever done it. instructions were easy to follow in the rebuild kit that i got. make sure you are getting a good connection to the injector also. that little 2 prong plug there on top.

If one injector is spraying more than the other, and cleaning doesn't help, you may have a burnt injector driver in the computer. When I was building my motor in my brown truck I was giving it so much fuel that the driver didn't have time to cool before the next pulse, I know it sounds crazy but it true, leading to weak fuel stream on the B injector. Remedy? $75 for a new computer and problem solved. But check the small things like resistance in the injector coil, Fuel line blockages, weak fuel press and so on.

Well I checked the fuel pressure at the filter and it's pushing almost 11psi. Is this enough pressure? I also found on thirdgen.org how to convert a factory tbi fuel pressure regulator into an adjustable regulator. I'll take some pics of doing it again because the atricle is only text so it's kinda hard to follow. I also found out after removing my tbi that almost all of the passages on the underside were almost stopped up completely and the injector pod gasket was broken. I repaired all of that but now I have a slight fuel leak on the injector pods around the gasket. Today I'm heading back to my uncles to pull me another ecm and also another tbi for parts and take a few and build 1 good one hopefully. The trucks killing me because it runs fine past 2000rpm but from idle to 2000 it tends to run rough and sometimes stumble and idle quality really sucks.
    Chevyracer8262

Check the Iac valve for idle, You can get a TBI rebuild kit for less than $8.00. The trick to getting one at the parts house is askin for a carb rebuild kit for your specific year model, I know it sounds strange but thats how they ar listed in the parts computer. Yes 11 is adequate pressure. 8-12 is the range.

Well yeasterday I tore down and completely cleaned the entire throttle. Now it idle's very smooth but when driving and you let completely off the gas it acts like it wants to die for a second then all of a sudden it picks back up and idles smooth again. Does anyone have any ideas of what can cause this? I modified my fuel pressure regulator to make it adjustable could I have the fuel pressure too low now? Oh yea the fuel pressure regulator was completly trashed so I replaced it as well.
    Chevyracer8262

Platinum Member
    good possibility but you should notice i stutter when idling also if she is not getting enough fuel. have you checked your timing lately??

Yea I have it set on 2deg advance, it runs strong and smooth and idles smooth except when you get off the throttle for a second or to. Then it does that.
    Chevyracer8262