Thread: 1987 350 starts wont idle

1987 350 starts wont idle

I am new to this forum and have a 1987 Chevy silverado 2wd with a 350. A few months ago it died while driving down the road and would not start again towed it home and let it sit. Just got around to working on it this past week. Thought that it might be the fuel pump but there is plenty of fuel getting to the throttle body. So i tried the MAP sensor and it was bad so i replaced that and now it will start and run but it will not idle .

Ive heard anything from a coolent sensor to just skipping time. Jst thought that i would pick the brains of some of the guys and gals on this forum. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Could be a vacuum leak. Check vacuum pipes. Could be the Idle Air Control valve needs cleaned/replaced. Could be a EGR valve fault. Pull the vacuum pipe off it and plug the pipe, see if any different. If not then EGR valve may need cleaned. Pull error codes to try to narrow it down. Good luck.

i replaced my egr and iac valve and she started right up... i have an 87 just like yours and was having the same exact problems... hope this helps to get you running again.. its a great truck and i wouldnt let it rot away

Thanks fellas for the advice that is where ill go with it this weekend. And i totally agree with you slammed, been in the family since new and in 200+ thousand miles this is the first time that it has not run.

sensor readings with a scan tool will be more helpful than checking codes, sensors can be out of spec without setting a code
    4 wheels move the body
    2 wheels move the soul
    B.W.A.I
    Snow is a lot like religion and a lot like sex....you never know when you are going to get it!....or how much you will get