Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 96 Chevy Headlight issue

Exclamation 96 Chevy Headlight issue

I am a little confused at the moment. The low beams on my truck are not working. I tested the connectors with a test light and there is power to both sides. I figured both low beam bulbs were toast. I put the new bulbs in and they do not work either. The truck had a plow at one time and I removed the extra harness for the lights and went back to the factory connectors. I have power at BOTH connectors but the bulbs do not light up. High beams work fine low beams don't. If I put bare wires in the connector and touch the ends to the bulb they do not work either. If I use the high beam connector with bare wires I can make the low beam bulb light up. If I stick the ground side of the test light in one side of the low beam connector and stick the blade in the other side, it completes the circuit and the test light lights up. The bulb will not. I need help please.....

Thanks,

check your grounds for the low beams... i had a similar problem where my lights would flicker... ground was toast so i had to splice in a new one... all it takes is one loose wire and nothing works right... try sticking the test light on the power side and then touching the other side to the chassis... if it works then you have a bad ground... have you checked the relays and related parts... try switching out the high beam relay withthe low beam relay they should be the same part so you wont have any problems there.. lemme know if that helps

OK I cut the factory connector off and bared the wires to splice it back together. I have power on the hot side, but as soon as I plug the bulb in I have no power. If I twist the hot side back together and plug in the bulb and ground the other wire to the chassis I get nothing. Where are the relays located? I can't find them. You mention 2 relays 1 for high beam 1 for low beam. There are none in the fuse box on the side of the dash inside the drivers door. I can't find 2 alike in the box under the dash on the drivers side or in the box under the hood. This is driving me crazy. I have power, but can't make the lights work. Any idea of a site where I can find a wiring schematic of the factory system? I don't have a service manual for the truck. Once again any help would be appreciated.

your relays would be located in the fuse box under the hood, by the anti lock brake motor

The fuse/relay box under the hood doesn't have anything labeled low or high beam headlight relay. There is a Starter relay, A/C relay, Fuel Pump relay, Brake Lamp relay, A.I.R. relay and a Horn relay and some larger amp fuses for ABS, IGN, STOP/HAZARD, BLOWER, LIGHTING, BATT, AUX A, AUX B. Is there another box that I need to find?

Thanks

When you put the ne bulbs in did you check them in the housing or just hanging? is there another switch or relay still under the dash for the plow lights?
    4 wheels move the body
    2 wheels move the soul
    B.W.A.I
    Snow is a lot like religion and a lot like sex....you never know when you are going to get it!....or how much you will get

I checked them both ways, in the housing and out. I can get the high beams to work either way in or out of the housing. I bought new low beams thinking that was the problem, but all 4 bulbs are good. I checked them with the battery. There was a harness for the plow system that I pulled out. It was a plug in harness so I just went back to the factory plugs. It had 2 relays that were behind the drivers side turn signal, with a inline fuse and a line running to the fuse box. I had the no low beam problem with the harness so I figured I would remove it and go back to the stock wiring hoping that would cure the problem. I guess not. I didn't know it could be this complicated. Usually a bad ground is the culprit, but there's something else going on here. I will check under the dash for anymore remnanats from the plow lighting.

Thanks

Here are some photos of what I took out.

In the harness picture:

1- Hot that was connected to the fuse box in the dash.
    2- Relays
    3- The stock low and high beam connectors plugged in here.
    4- Connectors that plugged in to the headlights. The stock connectors on the passenger side were tied off.

In the connector picture:

1- Bare metal for ground
    2- Low beam hot wire
    3- Low beam ground wire

If I wire the connector back on to these wires, I have power at the hot wire. If I plug the bulb in, there is no power. If I try to ground it to the bare metal the bulb will not light.

As far asI can tell all the stock wiring is there. There turn signals and parking lights work and the high beams work. The low beams just don't work.

I also included a picture of the fuse/relay box under the hood.

Name:  harness.jpg
Views: 1209
Size:  49.2 KB

Name:  connector.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  131.1 KB

Name:  acoustic 020.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  107.5 KB

Platinum Member
    i am with slammer on this one. check the grounds. if you have power and the bulb doesnt come on, that only leaves one thing left besides a burnt bulb. you might try checking further down the line on the ground side. if you have power, stop looking for relays. if you have a bad relay, you wouldnt have any power. or low power if you have one that is burning out.

I was at it again and the power was not constant. When I put the test light on the hot side it started out dim for about 2 seconds then jumped to full power. I followed the hot wire all the way to the firewall and it did the same thing, started dim and then full power. I thought it might be the test light or the ground on the test light. I tried another test light and it did the same thing. For now I wired into a second toggle switch next to my driving lights. It wasn't hooked to anything. I'll just have to flip the low beams on with the switch for now. I'm thinking it is a relay somewhere or possibly the dimmer switch and I am really not into trying to replace the dimmer switch just yet. Don't feel like dealing with the airbag issues. I just clipped the low beam wire in the harness for now and if I finally nail down the culprit I can change it back to stock. I think it is safe to say that it wasn't a ground issue. I am using a new hot wire with the same grounds and they are working. Thanks for everyones input!!
    Last edited by SilverK96; 11-02-2008 at 08:37 PM.
    "Give me a home where the buffalo roam......I'll show you a dirty house....."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast