Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: DTC Code P1351 any ideas?

DTC Code P1351 any ideas?

I have a 1996 3/4 ton 4x4 Chevy 5.7 pick up that is showing this code. I drive down the road and the truck quits. Then it re-starts without turning on the key. Anyone have any ideas on what is going on and how I can fix it?

Thanks...

Platinum Member
    ignition coil control circuit high voltage..............

copy/paste..........

DTC P1351 CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION:
    The enhanced ignition system uses the crank sensor in order to provide the timing input to the Vehicle Control Module (VCM). The VCM uses this reference pulse in order to determine the individual ignition spark timing for each cylinder
    Once the VCM calculates the ignition timing, the ignition coil module on the Ignition Control (IC) circuit receives the timing signal. Each timing pulse received by the ignition coil module on the IC circuit triggers the coil module in order to operate the ignition coil. The secondary ignition voltage is induced, and then the secondary ignition voltage is sent to the distributor for distribution to each spark plug.
    The IC signal voltage ranges from about 0.5 volt to 4.5 volts.

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC:
    • The EST is enabled.
    • The engine speed is less than 250 RPM.
    ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS:
    • The VCM turns the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) ON when this DTC is reported and one failure has occurred.
    • The VCM records the operating conditions at the time the Diagnostic Fails. Freeze Frame and Failure Records store this information.
    CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE MIL/DTC:
    • The VCM turns the MIL OFF after 3 consecutive drive trips when the test has Run and Passed and not Failed.
    • A history DTC will clear if no fault conditions have been detected for 40 warm-up cycles (coolant temperature has risen 22C (40F) from the start-up coolant temperature and the engine coolant temperature exceeds 70C (160F) during the same ignition cycle).
    • Use the scan tool Clear Information function.
    • Disconnect the VCM battery feed for 30 seconds.
    DIAGNOSTIC AIDS:

A poor connection, a rubbed through wire in the insulation, or a wire broken inside the insulation will cause an intermittent.

Check for the following conditions:
    • Poor connection.
    • Damaged harness: Inspect the VCM harness connectors for the following conditions:
    • Backed out terminals CLR 9 and BLK 18.
    • Improper mating.
    • Broken locks.
    • Improperly formed or damaged terminals.
    • A poor terminal to wire connection.
    AND
    • Damage to the harness.
    • Intermittent test - If the connections and the harness check OK, monitor a digital voltmeter connected between VCM terminal CLR 9 and BLK 18 while moving related connectors and wiring harness. If the failure is induced, the voltage reading will change. This may help to isolate the location of the malfunction.

Additional Information provided courtesy of AllDATA
    <----just your average 5.3

Ummm yeah what he said, sounds like a rubbed wire or poor ground in or around the ignition control module (below distributor cap)
    Gone.

Platinum Member
    i are smart!

Thanks for your input mudseeker &stumpuller. I did all the alldata tests and everything checked out good.My truck quit today (4 times)while driving.No difference wether it's rolling or stopped.When it quits,volt gauge reads nothing,but radio,lights,wipers work.Turn signals do not work,and I can put it in gear(auto)without stepping on the brake.If I play with tilt column,turn indicator,shifter,volt gauge shows 9volts and it starts.I don,t get it....Any thoughts??Sure appreciate your help

Platinum Member
    does your tach or speedo act weird? gear shift indicator?
    it's possible you have a break in your ignition switch.

here's some reading for you.
    electrical nightmare

nothing goofy with tach or speedo.the only other thing I have noticed,when it's running,volt meter jumps when signal indicator is on.It also jumps when I put the truck in gear(forward or reverse)

Do I have everyone stumped ?mudseeker,where are you???

i have said it befor eand it is a real pita to try to figure out electrical problems without havinghte accual vehicle in front of you... your best bet would be to take it to the stealership and have them check it out... it could be somethign really stupid that you are overlooking or something that needs attention rigt away or your truck may catch fire... not saying it will but thats the worst case sanario... the dealership amy charge you an arm and a leg but when you think aboutthe risk of drivinga truck around that you dont know when its gonna cut out on you... what happens if you are pulling out into a major intersection and it dies and you get t boned.. the you will be sayin to your self whydidnt i take it to the dealership... im not tryin to be rud or anything but thats just the way i see it... alot of people dontthink aboutthe affect of driving an unsafe vehicle on the road like that... i know i have had a near miss with a similar problem liek your but it was a bad cv shaft and it poped out while i was crossing an intersection.. lucky for me it wasnt rush hour or i would have been dead cause it is a bad intersection to pull out into to begin with...

p1351

had this code on my 97 blazer for 7 months i tried everything, the black and white wire on the control mod, coil,plugs,wires etc . i found 4 months ago that my intake plenum gasket had a 4 inch area that was not sealed. i replaced the gasket, havent had the code since and it starts easily everytime. with this gasket not sealed more air than needed gets in making it not fire correctly. which could very well set this code.
    Matt Kuhar likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast