Thread: Tire noise

Tire noise

MY 88 C2500 developed a slapping noise from the left front wheel.
    This morning I swapped the front wheels and the noise followed the wheel.
    The tires are Goodyear Wrangler RT/S 245 75R 16.
    The tread is 4 plies, 2 polyester cord + 2 steel cord, the sidewall is 2 plies
    polyester cord. The tires have more than 3/4 of the tread intact.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of tire noise?
    I am considering moving the noisy tire to the right rear so it is not so annoying but I do not want to run it if it is unsafe.
    These tires cost about $110.00 each.
    I can put up with the noise as long as it is safe to continue to run the tire
    thanks
    Bill

Platinum Member
    tire could be coming apart. take it back to where you bought the tires as goodyears should have a warranty against this. if the noise changed with the rotation of tires, i would take it back to them.

I did not buy these tires they came with the truck..
    with no receipt for the tire I doubt Goodyear would help ( I guess I could ask though
    I suppose I could save this tire for a spare
    seems a shame to trash it as it has plenty of tread left

Platinum Member
    you might try taking it to a tire place and letting someone take a closer look at the tire. really dont know how much about tires you know so forgive me. the plys in a tire cn seperate. this is not very common but it can happen. i have bought 350 dollar truck tires to have the tread seperate 50 miles down the road. when stuff like this happens, i will take the tire to my local tire man who has a tire xray machine. im sure that is not what it is called but will show imperfections in the tire whether it be due to a nail, a hole from a nail or ply, tread seperation. most of your tire places probably are not going to have equipment like this but they can take a look at it and probably find something.

A good tire shop will help you out if the tire is not that old. The can always call their reps if need be, otherwise when you need new ones again you would not consider shopping there
    4 wheels move the body
    2 wheels move the soul
    B.W.A.I
    Snow is a lot like religion and a lot like sex....you never know when you are going to get it!....or how much you will get

as said it could be a tire seperation. however, if your tire is worn funny off the front, then it would have a type of "slap" noise. I have mud tires wear funny on the front of alot of the trucks that I service at work. and the noise moves with the tire. as Brad said, just take it to a tire shop and have them look your tires over. a wierd noise may be harmless, but a tire seperation I watched tore a bed off a pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by billk View Post
    MY 88 C2500 developed a slapping noise from the left front wheel.
    This morning I swapped the front wheels and the noise followed the wheel.
    The tires are Goodyear Wrangler RT/S 245 75R 16.
    The tread is 4 plies, 2 polyester cord + 2 steel cord, the sidewall is 2 plies
    polyester cord. The tires have more than 3/4 of the tread intact.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of tire noise?
    I am considering moving the noisy tire to the right rear so it is not so annoying but I do not want to run it if it is unsafe.
    These tires cost about $110.00 each.
    I can put up with the noise as long as it is safe to continue to run the tire
    thanks
    Bill

if its one tire, check your shocks, as part of my job i have to do this all the time, good example,
    friday customer comes in with 12000 miles on set of Firestone Destination M/T's. front are chopped all the way across the tread. this is a sign that the shock is not dampening the recoil from the coil spring/ suspension. very bad deal.

now on your truck and with the particular tire you mentioned, i'd look at the shock first. if it is a tire which i wouldnt doubt, take them back and have the dealer look up for a recall, dodge has been putting these pieces of c r a p on the new rams, retarded... my cousin bought one, with 11k he has already had 3 right rears replaced, very placid tire, weak design, CHEAP design and expensive tire. CHECK YOUR SHOCKS, the 'bounce' test doesnt always work. you cant put the number of bounces on your bumper in a day the a highway can put on tire in 3 seconds.

oh sorry dodge is using the wrangle hp.... the rt/s was used in early 2000's model dakotas and even some of the older diesels. still check shocks.
    GOD BLESS CHRIS LEDOUX!!!

If you dont see weird patterns in the tread, Then you more than likely have a bad belt inside the tire. Look at the tread profial around the whole tire. I bet you will find an abnormal bump in the tread or tread seperating.
    Window tint its for window, Not for tail lights. Don't be that guy .