Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 79 chevy 3/4 ton build ?s

79 chevy 3/4 ton build ?s

ok I have a chevy truck build im working on i basically have 3 trucks to make 1 out of. I have (1) 79 3/4 ton pickup with the 14 bolt (10.5 ring gear) rear end and chevy 10 bolt front th400 tranny no motor excelent cab sollid box floor but rusted sides. (1) 79 heavy half ton pickup im mainly using for the frame, interior, chrome bumpers, and chrome light bezels etc. it has 350 motor th350 trans 12 bolt rear end 10 bolt front end. bad body real nice interior (1) 85 3/4 ton that has 454 with a rebuilt th350 and has the dana 44 front end with the 14 bolt (10.5 ring gear) as the rear 3"-4" home made susp lift. My plan was to build 1 truck with the 454 and rebuilt th350 with the excelent cab and ok box (I do intend to use the th400 after i get it rebuilt properly but that has to wait for now).

my main concern is the axles. do you guys think the dana 44 (85 pickup) would be the stronger axle for up front compared to the gm 10 bolt? I dont wanna give up the stronger axle if i can. also i have all new brakes and such on the 79. would anyone know if the front and rear brakes would be interchangeable? Id hate to loose the $ spent on the new brakes. The rear 14 bolt in the 85 has the gears welded for true posi which is why im considering using the 14 bolt from the 79. this will mainly be street driven. anybody got any advice on what to do? I do believe the gearing is different between the 79 and 85 axles so i am aware of the gear swaps.
    the guy i got the 85 from believes the gears are 4.56. I am thinking the 79 isnt that low but have no idea. i know theres a way to count the gears and do the math can someone explain the way to do it? im thinking its dividing the gear with the greater # of teeth by the gear with the lower # of teeth. Is this correct?

i have an exceptional cab with lund sunvisor, new fenders, new radiator support, new chrome inner fenders, fiberglass cowl hood, 4 new micky thompson classic 16"x10" rims, 3" body lift, all new poly mounts for the springs, shackles, cab mounts, and motor and tranny mounts. hopefully next summer ill be able to get the box redone with new bedsides, front part of the box and new tailgate (i already have 1 box side and the front piece). I also still want to find myself a lund razor back for the cab but cant seem to find one its not listed on the lund site so might possably be discontinued.

Platinum Member
    this sure does sound like alot of fun you have gotten yourself into. wish i was there. i have the d44 front end on mine and have not torn it up yet. really dont know what all you plan on doing with this truck but mine has been through some pretty good mud and has held up.
    beware of lincoln lockers. welded gears are a cheap way to get it accomplished and is really not the right way to do it. you mentioned that money is tight for the 400, which i think is a great choice for the truck, but you might save your money for a good detroit locker or the like.
    for gear ratio, count the number of teeth on the ring gear. count the number of teeth on the pinion gear. divide the pinion count into the ring count. i.e. 42 teeth on the ring gear and 12 teeth on the pinion gear (42/12) would give you a 3.50 ratio.

welome to the forum
    be careful mud will want the 85
    4 wheels move the body
    2 wheels move the soul
    B.W.A.I
    Snow is a lot like religion and a lot like sex....you never know when you are going to get it!....or how much you will get

thanx bradrhale for the response. the truck will primarily be on the road but might get some offroad nothing too serious. as far as having the full posi that is not really important to me as i dont get into much offroad stuff. The previous owner welded the axles as he used it in the truck pulls. I might use the 14 bolt out of the 79 and change the gears in it to match the dana 44 if i need to. I first havta verify what gears are in both axles. the gear change might havta wait and just keep it 2 wheel for now as $ might be an issue as i have spent more then i had planned for parts already. I need to get the cab and box switched over at the least before july and would like to get axles as well as the motor tranny done at the same time. im already going to be behind a few weeks as some of the parts i ordered are backordered. if i had all the parts now it would be moving.

Platinum Member
    go ahead and put in the d44. keep the front driveshaft in the back of your truck and you wont have a problem wether the gearing is the same or not. no point in doing a job twice when you can minus this one part for the time being.

i guess im going to havta start pulling covers off and counting up the teeth and seeing what i have.when i get my truck going ill ask as to how much the gear change will be. if its not expensive to have someone do ill get it done. are these hard to do yourself? ive never done one.

Platinum Member
    if you are not mechanically inclined, than i would suggest someone else do it. stuff like that has to be set to a T with a dial indicator or feeler gauges, then you have to set spacing right so that the teeth ride in the center of the ring gear like they are supposed to. get it too tight or off a bit, she will come apart. i have been there and broke open the same rear end 2 weekends in a row because of it. a torque wrench is needed as well if you decide to do this.

im capable of doing alot of my own work and do consider myself mechanically inclined. ive done and learned alot pulling things apart and fixing them. but my experience has come from fixing things that have gone bad on my vehicles or just replacing things to fix it up nice. axles are one area i just havent messed with yet. i have tourque wrenches no dial indicators yet but wouldnt mind getting some i do use dial indicators and feelers at work so i know how to use them. but as far as using them to do the gears like i said im inexperienced. Im sure with the know how i could do it and do it well. I can usually accomplish just about anything i set my mind to doing mechanically its just the experience and the know how on some things i lack.

Platinum Member
    stumppuller just finished putting a locker in his 14 bolt, so you might pair up with him for some good details and knowledge.

there is a blue trnsfer grease that helps check the gear set, but i don't remember its' real name
    4 wheels move the body
    2 wheels move the soul
    B.W.A.I
    Snow is a lot like religion and a lot like sex....you never know when you are going to get it!....or how much you will get

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast