Thread: Converting a 2x4 to a 4x4

Question Converting a 2x4 to a 4x4

ok so my grampa is leaving me his chevy 1985 c10 stepside with a 305 in it and i am happy to have it but it is only a 2x4 i live in a small town and enough off roading and work in the country that i have to have it forweel drive so i was thinking about getiing an old frame or truck that still has the differentals, transfercase, ect and putting the body onto it any ideas about this or tips to make it work?

also i am wondering if anyone knows of a premade subbox that will fit behind the seat of a 1980 k10 chevy?

getting the frame from another truck, and swapping the good parts from your other truck would be the best option in my opinion...... i have converted a 2x4 to 4x4 simply by swapping axles, tranmission/transfercase, had to have new drive shafts, crossmembers had to be modified, and a whole bunch of other problems........

Yep, I think I have seen this question enough, and I was interested in it too, but it seems its just best that a 4x4 is a 4x4 and a 2x4 is 2x4(if you have a locker). And that is that. Just much more cost effective to start with a 4x4 frame. If was even hoping that the 4x4 subframe and engine cradle would unbolt and go to a 2x4 frame, but does not appear to be the case.
    85 Sierra Classic K1500
    85 Silverado K10
    84 Silverado C20

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by batty1214 View Post
    getting the frame from another truck, and swapping the good parts from your other truck would be the best option in my opinion...... i have converted a 2x4 to 4x4 simply by swapping axles, tranmission/transfercase, had to have new drive shafts, crossmembers had to be modified, and a whole bunch of other problems........
    i believe he wants to remove the 4wd body and replace it with the body from the 2wd. shouldnt have to modify any crossmembers or driveshafts. have to put a bigger hole in the floor pan but i dont see alot of headaches with it.

Yep, Brad is right, now that I reread it. That is what he wants to do. He wants to put Grandps's 85 C10 body on a 4X4 chassis and that should work out just great with any frame from 73-87 or do the fenders and hood make a differance on the frame too, so it would be 81-87. I believe any frame from 73-87 will work with just bolt ons.
    85 Sierra Classic K1500
    85 Silverado K10
    84 Silverado C20

ya that is what i am trying to do i really dont like the two weel drives and thxs yall for all the help

I assume this is a shortbox. It's really easy to swap bodies on a chevy. like Brad said, you'll have to cut a hole for your 4x4 shifter and other than that, there is really no more mods you have to make. Find a 4x4 running gear set and start swapping!