Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1994 chevy c1500 will not start. Any suggestions?

1994 chevy c1500 will not start. Any suggestions?

ok, so my boyfriend has a 94 Chevy C1500 and yesterday it stopped working. He has replaced the spark plugs and a few other things, but nothing worked. I was looking online to try to find out where the fuel filter is located, but I'm having no luck. Can anyone tell me where it is located or any other possible solutions. What are some possible things that he can do to trouble shoot the problem?
    Last edited by islandwoman28; 07-24-2009 at 06:26 PM. Reason: not enough info

Banned
    Driver side frame rail, about a foot in front of the rear tire.

can you hear the pump trying to pump fuel? its in the gas tank, if you cant hear it try and disconnect the line on the input side of the filter and see if its getting fuel there

Welcome first of all and howdy from TEXAS. My fuel pump just went out as well on my 1993 GMC truck my truck it has 167,000 miles on it and I was waiting for it to happen no sound coming from my pump that's in the gas tank and my fuse is good and relay that's by the A/C box in hood. How many miles are on his truck? Also tell him to view this site www.rockauto.com Tell him to replace the wire harness as suggested look at site so that you can see a picture of parts and also tell him not to lower the truck bed till he starts up the truck first.
    Good luck! GMC
    PS-Some people remove the truck bed instead of lowering the gas tank or he can just raise up the drivers side and place a 2x4 of wood to hold it up. But remember safety is number one on this forum.
    RockAuto Parts Catalog
    Listen if the fuel pump is turning on that's one good area to start as well and what parrd729 wrote.
    Last edited by gmctrucks; 07-25-2009 at 06:46 AM. Reason: add

IS IT GETTING SPARK?if not there are a couple things getting in the way,electronic spark control(under dist. cap),coil(left side of intake),pick up coil(in the distributor,requires a little more mechanical expierince),lots of parts stores can now test coils and what not for proper operation,i would try this first to eliminate any costly fuel pump replacement,but if it is getting spark,check and see if it is getting fuel.

In reply to your responses

Well thanks for all the great responses. I have relayed all of them to him and he said that when it happened it sounded like he was out of fuel, so he put some in. Obviously that didn't work, so he replaced the spark plugs. he said that he could hear the difference, but it still wouldn't start. He thought this may have been because it was flooded,so he left it overnight and tried it again the next day. It still would not start. He knew about banging the gas tank and said there was a way around that and that still didn't work. I'm trying to remember all that he said, but bear with me since I'm not the mechanic. I'm doing the leg work for him because he works sooooo much. He's thinking maybe the fuel filter, but is not sure. Thanks for all your advice and please keep it coming.

spray some silicone spray into it while cranking and see if it spits, if so it's a fuel problem
    4 wheels move the body
    2 wheels move the soul
    B.W.A.I
    Snow is a lot like religion and a lot like sex....you never know when you are going to get it!....or how much you will get

If the sending unit/pump is faulty it will...

When you turn the key on or off can you hear a hum come from the gas tank area of the truck. If you can hear the hum its not the sending unit/pump. My fathers GMC stopped running and by hitting the gas tank with a board, it would all of a sudden start up. But sure enough die again. If the hums there, the unit/pump is working, if not you have a problem with that unit. GMC had several years where one of the connections on top of the unit over time would vibrate loose. They have since redesigned the harness to stop this problem. Pump/unit assembly was a couple hundred bucks and to install the new harness design with require 4 butt connectors and some heat shrink.

If it was the fuel filter, it would most likely run in idle. But when you put it in gear "under load" it would stall out. If the filter is just started to plug up with debris enough fuel would get thru at idle as there is little fuel demand. When in gear the obstruction in the filter would starve the motor.

Spark plugs won't make the difference between starting or not unless you have broke off 2 or more. A faulty plug will only make the truck run like it has a hick-up.

Check your spark plug wires, if they are laying on your manifold and burnt out they may cause problems. Had that occur in my truck.

Check your starter. I had the ground wire in my solenoid go. The truck would turn over until it was dead. This may not be the problem, if the truck battery goes dead over the next couple of days for no reason; than this is the problem.

Just remember to start simple. Fuel, Fire and Oxygen.

(FUEL) Make sure your sending unit is working by the hum and that there is good fuel in the tank. Some stations have been known to add water etc and this causes a poor ignition
    (Oxygen) Check your air filter, if the engine is starved of oxygen it can not run properly, a simple thing like replacing the air filter can make the difference. If you remove the air filter hold it up to the sun, if you can see white luminescent thru it it is ok, if it looks grey-black it needs a change.(FIRE) This one can be a duzy with coils, plugs, timing ect.Leave it to last. There are normally tale signs of timing/coils deteriorating like rough running or back firing. If the running capability of the truck has slowly been decreasing these may be your problems. It is best to take it to a garage you trust or a friend with a code reader and have the codes read as firing is a broad spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by merlin5577 View Post
    Driver side frame rail, about a foot in front of the rear tire.
    I was going to go with Driver side frame rail, about a foot in rear of the front tire.

His finger were rebelling from his brain!! ever notice my teh instead of the?
    4 wheels move the body
    2 wheels move the soul
    B.W.A.I
    Snow is a lot like religion and a lot like sex....you never know when you are going to get it!....or how much you will get

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast