Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 07 Silverado Tail Light Wiring Schematic?

Quote Originally Posted by JustDanMI View Post
    Thanks Bernie, I'll try ordering one and see how they work for me as well than.
    Go for the cheaper of the two. I think the second one was $5.99

Whoops! Cancel that... The cheap one does not work with LED's. Go for the $6.99 version
    * SPACE FOR RENT *

.....I'm even willing to route a wire to the CHMSL wire..........if I knew where it was.
    I looked under the dash, and nothing clearly called it out.
    Guess it's time for more research.
    It's a 10A in the IP fuse block. Should have a pigtail there.
    Near Stop,L-turn,R-turn
    On the HD w/trailering it's blunt cut after extenting from IP relay block.
    That's the same place the Hi-Stop is wired (splice point)
    You may want to see if you can get it from there.
    If you're up to some fun with IDing connectors...
    it's "D" on C7, where the colors are blk, brn, DkBlu, red, LtBlu
    Not to be confused with same colors coming in on C1
    or Hi-Stop LtBlu exiting on "J" of C3.
    But let's not make this a color thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Well, After a busy summer, I'm finally trying to mess with this Firestorm lightbar from Plasmaglow again.

After reading a few more reviews on that logic circuit, I've decided against it and decided to just run the wires myself. That way I KNOW they'll work as they're supposed to.

Thanks for the new schematic there Crabtruck. I noticed it's a new one and not one of the original one's you posted for me. Holding out on information I see......just kidding. Actually, I don't believe that schematic is the correct one for my truck. I noticed the HD reference on there, and mine is only a 1500, so maybe they wire them differently, I don't know. I do know that I looked at all the fuses under the dash and none of them were for the CHMSL. I did eventually find it in the fuse block in the engine compartment though. It turned out to be fuse 51 which is a 15A fuse. After finding the fuse, it was a whole different story trying to figure out which wire went to that fuse, as there isn't a whole bunch of slack in those wires to see what's going on. I eventually was able to remove the Fuse Block from it's mounted location and gain access to all of the wire harnessess so that I could test the wires. Only problem was, without that fuse block in place, the truck was dead. Inserting the key into the ignition provided no response, therefore, stepping on the brake to find the right brake wire wasn't an option at that point. Since it still wasn't really clear which wire it was, I decided to pop off the 3rd Brake light on the back of the cab. Also known as the Central High Mount Stop Light(CHMSL). After comparing the 3 wires going to the CHMSL to the wires below the CHMSL fuse, there was only one color of wire that was in both locations. The wire was a beigeish orange wire. I took that wire, and got enough of it showing so that when I reinstalled the fuse block that I could test it. I was surprised at how easily the fuse block went back in after ensuring all of the wire harnesses were in their correct location. After getting the fuse block back in, I tested the wire and sure enough, it was the one. FINALLY!!!!

So, I then popped the fuse block back out and used those T-taps you guys told me about to splice another wire to the CHMSL wire. I made sure to silicone it up and than wrapped electrical tape around it as well.

Now, something I'm still confused about is that the directions clearly called for a "Constant 12+V" connection. I know you guys said I should think twice before having a constant connection, but why would they specifically call for one? And what are some of the things I should pay attention to after hooking it up? Any help on that question would be greatly appreciated.

I decided that since I was running a CHMSL wire from the engine compartment all the way to the back of the truck, I might as well run the hot wire at the same time. I can always disconnect it if I need to in the future. And that's basically where I'm at thus far. I have both the hot wire and the CHMSL wire ran to the back of the truck. I zip tied that split plastic tubing to keep a clean look, and to help protect the wires. Now I just need to wait until the weekend so that I can install the light bar and let the tape set up for 24 hours without driving the truck. Than hopefully I'll have a fucntioning light bar.

For those of you who find this thread and are attempting to install a Plasmaglow Firestorm lightbar onto your truck, I wanted to give the specs of the truck I'm installing it on. My truck is a 2007 Chevy Silverado with the new body style. It's an extended cab, with a 6' bed and even though it says LT on the back, the paperwork calls it an LT2. It has a 5.3 Vortec engine with the E85 fuel option. I'm not sure how much of this information is needed, but none the less, that's what I've got.

Thanks for all of your help guys, I definelty would be still near the beginning and scratching my head if it wasn't for this site, and especially Bernie and Crabtruck. Thanks again guys. And I'll keep you posted when I actually get around to finishing it.

Now, something I'm still confused about is that the directions clearly called for a "Constant 12+V" connection. I know you guys said I should think twice before having a constant connection, but why would they specifically call for one? And what are some of the things I should pay attention to after hooking it up? Any help on that question would be greatly appreciated.
    My concerns are:

1. That the constant 12v connection be fused, and not just run direct from the battery.
    2. That it would be better to have this on a circuit that's hot only with the ignition on because that gives you just a little bit of extra safety in case of wiring faults. If you come out one day and your battery is dead you won't have to wonder if it's the lightbar causing it.
    * SPACE FOR RENT *

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234