Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Code 44 (a.k.a. Specific Issue")

Blog Entries

Code 44 (a.k.a. Specific Issue")

Gentleman, (Yes Hotrod, I finally took that Political Correctness course)

Recap; (from codes with paper clip thread, end of July, early August.)
    > Main symptom... the truck does not idle normal anymore.
    I started it up Monday like normal, 1 turn of the key to let her know we're goin' somewhere... second turn she fires up. But this time, she acts like.. hard time gettin' fuel! stumbling and rolling through idle like wants to shut off any second.
    warms up and runs okay.. but push the gas pedal hard and OOPS... too much (gasp) fuel? hesitates before moving on.. etc.
    Tuesday the 'check engine soon' light came on for 15 miles or so... got home, idled while I moved a few cars around to make room for her.. and when I hop back in to back her up into place... 'check engine soon' light is off . BUT she still idles poorly. <

TODAY.
    I have retrieved the codes from my truck ('90 Cheyenne with '94 5.7 TBI 2wd.) and saw the code 12 which is normal, and then (insert ominous music...) CODE 44.

According to the book, code 44 means; "Lean Exhaust indication. O2 Sensor voltage stays low after 1 to 2 minutes of engine run."

Now the book doesn't say how to proceed but I suspect the next step is to clean the heck out of ...or REPLACE O2 sensor. (That is the brass cylinder shaped thing attatched to the exhaust manifold [drivers side] isn't it?)

Is there anything tricky I should look for while doing this? Do I remove the negative battery cable for 1/2 hour to erase that code?
    Could the explanation of the code mean that the source of voltage to the O2 sensor could be suspect? (if so, I must confess I am unable to follow the purple wire to it's source... it goes into plastic protector and then into a nest of wires behind the block and bell housing which are out of view.)

As always, Thank You.
    Last edited by Stitz Love; 09-13-2009 at 10:08 AM. Reason: recap / and Update = TODAY.
    1990 Chevy Cheyenne, SB (2wd / AC) with a;
    1993 5.7 from Police Cruiser (LO-5)-(?) installed by previous owner.
    (It sat for 7 years before I bought it.)

I am no expert but it would seem to me that you have a weak fuel pump/clogged filter.

Hey, Stitz, you had posted about this in my thread about similar issue I was having with my 93 1500 5.7 a few weeks ago. My issue was with the fuel pump (actually, the connecting hose between pump and fuel line). The symptoms certainly seem identical to yours. I bought a fuel pressure gauge to test mine, and I'll be happy to drop it in the mail to you no charge if you need it. I was showing 6 - 7 psi originally and 15 psi now.

Blog Entries
    Case7230, Yes, based on all the threads I've read on this forum researching same or similar symptoms do suggest the items you've indicated. Today while at the auto parts store I did pick up a new fuel filter (and PCV) too... just for good messure.
    And Xray, I sure do appreciate the offer and may take you up on that if this new O2 sensor (And fuel filter and PCV) don't resolve the issue.
    Naturally all manner of things popped up during today and so even tho- I did manage to pick up the parts I wanted, I did not get back in time to get to work on the truck... ran out of daylight. Sooo maybe tomorrow eve after work? Maybe Tuesday after work... (sigh) ..I swear ..if (I mean 'when') I win the lottery... the first thing I'm gonna do is buy us a house WITH AN AWESOME TWO CAR GARAGE!!!!
    Seriously, I will post the results of my efforts as soon as I perform them... (man, I really hope it's not the fuel pump...) and congrats to you X- for getting yours repaired!

Low fuel pressure can set the 44 and is worth checking.
    So can an exhaust leak ahead of sensor.
    So can bad connections for sensor or grd for it on ECM.

Don't know if you have the heated sensor but worth checking
    and it may be a bad fuse there too.
    Running better after warm up made me think of that.

Think you can reset codes when ready by pulling
    the ECM-B fuse for 10-20secs.

Historical Note:
    xraydude - soon to be known as
    "the one who started the forum tool lending library."

Quote Originally Posted by crabtruck View Post
    Historical Note:
    xraydude - soon to be known as
    "the one who started the forum tool lending library."
    YAH!!!!
    sig by crmzendrgone

Blog Entries
    Just two weeks later...

Well, I replaced the 02 sensor, cleaned the TBI, replaced the air-filter collar gasket, the lower one where the collar rests on the intake manifold (as the existing one had cracked and had an opening just perfect for a vacuum leak), and as noted in the thread titled 'fuel filter... frame mounted' I replaced the fuel filter. I had disconnected the neg. battery cable while doing these things over the course of two days (limited time to get to truck) so the code 44 should have cleared.
    Once the battery was connected again, I started her up. Truck seemed to do a little better... tho- it could have been my imagination. I went for a test drive, thinking perhaps the loping was due to the 4 weeks of sitting... I got to the highway, got up to 65 mph and decided to turn around at the next exit 8 miles up the road. THEN I heard this really strange sound, like a giant sheet of aluminum foil dragging on the ground under my engine! I pulled over on the side of the Interstate... engine off, pop open hood, my Serpentine belt was in radical stages of disintigration! (Good grief!) ...that's not really what I said, I've cleaned it up for the kids...
    So I call a friend of mine and luckily for me he had time to come to my aid... drove me to a nearby Autozone and I bought a 'gatorback' belt... we went back and installed it. My truck had trouble starting... then getting up to speed. Turned around at the next exit, trouble getting back up to highway speed. Stopped at his house, and 30 minutes later, trouble starting... then loping idle, then bogging while accelerating from stops on my way home. By the time I got here, SES light on again... I let it idle (roughly) while moving cars around to make a space for it. I get back in it and SES light is now off. I park it. that was LAST Sunday.
    Today, I use the Actron code scanner and see I'm getting "Code 44" again.
    I plan to drive the truck around the neighborhood (a few miles) just to run it...

(crabtruck, the sensor is not the heated type. It's the single wire type)
    I think that all of you suggesting low fuel pressure have the answer. I will check the connections at the ECM as well.
    The unfortunate thing is I won't be able to get to work on the truck for about another two weeks. During this time (while Lil curses the existence of the truck) I will look into the prices of OEM fuel pump. Do they come with the 'sock'?
    Also, what do I do with the 3/4 full gas tank? anyway to salvage that fuel? Or should I just putt around the area here running it down?
    Will disconnecting my battery for the week or two of just sitting make any difference to the strength of my battery?
    (MAN, I've got to get a garage!)

Quote Originally Posted by Stitz Love View Post
    Just two weeks later...

(crabtruck, the sensor is not the heated type. It's the single wire type)
    I think that all of you suggesting low fuel pressure have the answer. I will check the connections at the ECM as well.
    The unfortunate thing is I won't be able to get to work on the truck for about another two weeks. During this time (while Lil curses the existence of the truck) I will look into the prices of OEM fuel pump. Do they come with the 'sock'?
    Also, what do I do with the 3/4 full gas tank? anyway to salvage that fuel? Or should I just putt around the area here running it down?
    Will disconnecting my battery for the week or two of just sitting make any difference to the strength of my battery?
    (MAN, I've got to get a garage!)

Low fuel pressure sounds to be the source of your problem if you buy an OEM replacement pump it should come with the sock however if it doesn't it can't be more then a few dollars also the new pump should come with a new hose for the pickup and new wiring. diconnecting your battery for 2 weeks should reset the code however it may cause the battery to go dead so a jump may be required. As far as the 3/4 of a tank go you might as save the gas just use a jack and a 2by4 to drop the tank slowly or you can try the siphon threw a hose trick but that's never very fun!
    IT'S PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Fasel,
    Out of curiousity... do you think the injectors could be the weak link in this case?
    -Thanks again.

I'm not 100% sure about that because if you have weak fuel pressure going to the injectors then your injectors will have low psi the best way to know is to get a fuel psi guage as mentioned above and give it a test to see if you have good psi going to your TBI then yes that could be the culprit and the do sell rebuild kits for the injectors.
    IT'S PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast