View Poll Results: Does posting pics, help with discribing problem?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

13 92.86%
  • no

0 0%
  • sometimes

1 7.14%
  • don't know?

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil Leak Behind Turbo Intake 94 Chevy 6.5 diesel

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by bradrhale View Post
    i need bigger pics to focus on cause i really cant tell what all is the problem area. perhaps i need some new eyeballs.
    not really a small diesel guy but will do my best to help you out. anyway you can post up a larger picture??
    are you experiencing oil consumption as well or what??
    Ok ,new pics, and my new idea (for whats thats worth cause i'm lost).

I believe that the oil vapor is coming into the intake from, what I believe is the CDR (Red). The actual place where it leaks is on the back of this bolt on the underside (green) that you can barely see. I am only considering the CDR (if thats it?) because of somthing I saw on the diesel forums, but that thread a conflict of opinion as I posted earlier.

Here is a close up of under that hose u can still barely see the bolt (no room for camera).

Here is the back of that bolt where it actually leaks at as you can see from all the gunk. It only drips when I'm towein' a load.
    "Better than power over all the earth, better than going to heaven and better than dominion over the worlds is the joy of the man who enters the river of life IN A CHEVY DIESEL!."

If you think it is following the bolt, pull it put some thread sealer on it, clean it up and see what happens
    4 wheels move the body
    2 wheels move the soul
    B.W.A.I
    Snow is a lot like religion and a lot like sex....you never know when you are going to get it!....or how much you will get

Just making the names we use the same.

It looks to me like the oil is leaking from the hose clamp screw not a bolt. Agree?
    When that hose is put on it's supposed to have a silicone sealnt applied.

The crankcase depression regulator (CDR) valve is for maintaining proper vacuum
    in the crankcase with both a high and low limit. You want 3-4hg"mercury.
    Too little vac has a tendancy to force oil leaks, and too much vac will pull
    oil into the air crossover. This is why some suggest it as a cause for leaks.
    As always, testing is required unless you want to throw parts at it.
    That's done with a manometer (water guage) at the dipstick hole.
    At idle you're looking for about an inch and 3-4" at full load.
    You can make your own if you don't have a real one.
    Top reasons to suspect CDR would be excessive oil consumption,
    contaminated oil, fuel or oil leaks, and high crankcase pressure.

CDR is not an automatic bad guy because there are other ways to get oil
    into the air crossover. I mentioned in prior posts about air filter and sludge oil
    in turbo center, but the number one and easiet to check is the oil drain (return) line
    from turbo going down. Complete or even partial restriction, like from kinks and twists,
    can back enough oil up to be a problem as it will get forced through turbo.

Another thing that you want to consider is if the rubber hose is 15yrs old,
    it may be fatigueing or splitting. Do a good look see that for oil weeping through.

Have you pulled codes on this ?

a pluged/dirty CDR will start sucking oil from the crankcase, every 50k or so.
    This is the stuff old wives tales are made of, but still, a dirty CDR is no good good.
    Dirty crank oil would contribute to CDR fail, but also to turbo sludge.
    Another threat to CDR is solvents, not just while repairing, but from
    contents of crank oil & additives. Keep it clean and choose wisely.

Unhappy

ok I see what your saying, the leak is from the bolt and not the hose clamp, I turned the clamp up from it's original postition (right next to bolt) to get the camera in. I have cleaned the CDR, now my oil pressure is a bit higher than it was, and I have a 'service engine' light coming on and off.

I guess my next check is the.. 'the oil drain (return) line from turbo going down.' (if I can find, lol).. and maby whole new CDR.

Wanted to have fixed before I had to haul my trailor, but looks like 'Big Blue' is gonna show and prove Saturday ready or not. Imma have the codes pulled tommorow morning also. Hope I can get my rig up to par

If not yall cross your fingers for a bro.
    "Better than power over all the earth, better than going to heaven and better than dominion over the worlds is the joy of the man who enters the river of life IN A CHEVY DIESEL!."

Quote Originally Posted by leolkfrm View Post
    If you think it is following the bolt, pull it put some thread sealer on it, clean it up and see what happens
    I read this from you and thought that was a good idea, so that's done, thanks 'leolkfrm'. I'm doin' every and anything to make sure this rig is on point for this weekend.

now I'm not a huge 6.2/6.5 chevy guy but what it looks like to me is that any oil coming through the CDR is (1) either leaking out of the charge side of the compressor going into the motor (2) being blown out if the intake of the compressor housing.

I don't think it is number 2 because it should be more of a vacuum there then pressure.

Now I may not be 100% correct on this but the CDR should also act as a pcv valve and dump any blowby back into the intake side of the turbo (hence the oil in turbo) If the oil seal in the turbo was bad you would definitely know it. it would be smoking severely from the exhaust.

It looks to me that maybe the hose coming from the charge side into the motor intake might be cracked or a loose clamp. I'd take that hose off first (if you have not already) and give it a good cleaning and check for dryness cracks etc...
    John Wayne

2000 F-350 7.3L Powerstroke 4x4

Platinum Member
    thanks a ton john.

Yeah John !! Somebody who HAS a diesel,
    not like me, I just saw one on TV.

Square357 you can pull those codes yourself I believe.
    Check out Just Wondering

Quote Originally Posted by crabtruck View Post
    Yeah John !! Somebody who HAS a diesel,
    not like me, I just saw one on TV.

Square357 you can pull those codes yourself I believe.
    Check out Just Wondering
    Wow! thnx crabtruck!

Wastegate Solenoid Fault
    Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Circuit Fault
    Accel Pedal Position (APP) 2.5 Volt Reference Fault

I'm trolling some forums for info to see what I can get done in the morning before I have to move my trailor. If you got any suggestions lemme know.

mrjohnwayne
    Would that be a constant black smoke, or just like when you revit?

Well with the info I have found so far seems like my nest move is to:

APP codes (84, 99) I should just have to change the 'speed sensor' in the accelarator, which I think may be beyond me sense I reading it has to be calibrated or somthing,?

Replace (after I check the hoses and vacume) the Wastegate Solenoid?

If I'm off in my course of action lemme know b4 I **** my truck up more.

Thx yall
    Last edited by Square357; 10-23-2009 at 12:54 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast