Thread: steering column

steering column

90 c2500 heavy duty regular cab with tilt steering wheel

I'm trying fix my steering column. Its very loose like someone was using steering wheel to pull themselves into the truck. I can pull on the steering wheel and part of steering column will try to come out. Its secure under the hood but loose inside the cab. The bolts are tight where the metal plate is at holding the column up. Does anyone have pointers or pictures on taking sections the of the steering colmun apart?

Mine's not as bad but makes terrible noises; I would like to see a breakdown, as well.
    94 C1500

Still running with a little help from black magic, voodoo and wishfull thinking.

do you have tilt wheel?if so there are 3 bolts that loosen up over time.you have to pull the wheel and you may need a gm special tool to remove the pivot pins.

Arrow

This is what I could find but it looks like the later models.

Here is another one I know it says corvettes but I am sure they were not that different from trucks.

The third one is the one you want

It sounds like the tilt knuckle is loose. This is very common on older GM & Jeep vehicles. In order to repair it, the column needs to be disassembled down to the lower shift bowl and tighten the stand that holds the tilt knuckle. That means everything has to come off...and then you can get to the bolts that hold the 'stand' to the column tube. There are 4 inverted torx bolts that come loose or come out completely and need to be reinserted and tightened.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Crmzendrgone; 11-13-2009 at 07:18 PM.
    sig by crmzendrgone

My local gm parts department said they don't sell tools but here's a gm part #J21854-01. I can the get pivot pin remover/puller from sears, snapon, and mactools. Nobody in the winchester,va area has the tool local. I have buy it over the internet.

I don't think this will help but on my 1976 Firebird it had some nylon bushings that were worn I think even a bearing it's been a long time ago. I would remove the steering wheel and look for worn parts I think your steering wheels has a steel o-ring just push down on the wheel and you can pry it off like I wrote it has been a long time that I worked on a Burb I had as well.