Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1994 Chevy radio

Blog Entries
    Do you have the Haynes Manual #24065 (1664)...? My copy is from 1997 but the newer ones have some corrections in them... HOWEVER, see, Chapter 12 (in mine it's chapter 12 verse 15, [...And lo, he saw the great crowded mass of wire, metal and plastic, and there was much wailing and nashing of teeth. ...] and it goes on to cover the radio removal and installation in detail.
    I know you will find it helpfull, because like you, I had never seen anything like this before either! (I think the guys who designed this whole dash panel and it's components must have REALLY liked Star-Trek. ...and old Dodge automatic-transmissions)
    1990 Chevy Cheyenne, SB (2wd / AC) with a;
    1993 5.7 from Police Cruiser (LO-5)-(?) installed by previous owner.
    (It sat for 7 years before I bought it.)

So if I remove my old radio and put in an aftermarket do I have to get rid of the amp/tuner. The silver box or do I just hide the wires and so forth. Thanks.

I have the whole wet up you have, Mine works great. If oyu go to aftermarket, You have to install it where the cassette player is. Bad part is you have to lean over a bit to get to it. I have a complete system like your I ma removing from the off road truck. It works, but offroad trail rigs dont need radios.
    The only good thing that came from cash for clunkers is that it got most of the OBAMA bumper stickers off the streets.

Auto Banned
    same problem with my radio. been that way for about 6 yrs. rather listen to my flowmasters anyway. im a motorhead

Blog Entries

Stock dash / radio

I have done a fair bit of research on this, but I have not removed anything yet.
    If this is what your dash looks like, (truck listed in my sig) then you will discover there is no room behind this button-panel for a new stereo deck at all. When you go aftermarket, the new 'non-stock' stereo gets installed in the portion of the dash seen in this photo, below those AC vents, which is holding some sunglasses and other items. (Commonly refered to as a, 'Cubby-hole')
    A plain (or decorative) panel is then placed over the the area of the dash where the stock button panel is/was.
    Also, since your aftermarket radio is typically the amp/ receiver, you will likely desire to remove the 'silver box' stock amp and tuner. (sometimes refered to as 'the brain' in the context of radio/stereo conversation.)

I have recently located a STOCK brain for my truck, and the dude also included the button panel and .. a cassette tape deck... which I may or may not install. (paid him $65. for all)
    I will post my results when I actually perform the operation... which may be weeks from now. ...sigh.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1990 Chevy Cheyenne, SB (2wd / AC) with a;
    1993 5.7 from Police Cruiser (LO-5)-(?) installed by previous owner.
    (It sat for 7 years before I bought it.)

When installing a aftermarket stereo buy the wiring harness that way you can connect it easy to the OEM harness they also have color matching kits to match your dash color I listed once where to get all the items one needs on one of my write ups. Time to go outside for a smoke take care guys.
    GMC

I am wanting to say, I have seen kits for these where the aftermarket stereo goes where the cassette/EQ goes, as said above, then you get a cool pocket where the head set was. Great for putting your cell phone, smokes if you have that bad habit like I do and hate it, or whatever else you might want to put in it.
    85 Sierra Classic K1500
    85 Silverado K10
    84 Scottsdale C20
    91 Silverado R1500 Suburban

Hotrod just a regular cig no stuff in it but I have been cutting down on them I get my Pall-Mall blues at CVS for less than $10.00 dollars for two packs not bad I use my CVS card for the discount. It's raining over here right now and my smokes are in my truck im getting out my umbrella to get to them nothing like a good morning smoke or after one eats. Kids smoking is bad im smoking less till I quit it is a BAD habit.

I have seen that the aftermarket radios going where the cassette and eq. are but I hate that look it sticks out like 5feet ok not that far but sure looks like it so I went with this little special place that way when some a hole wants to steal my radio and they look in the window all they see is the stock radio. Now some of you may think about having to reach down there but most new radio come with remote controls. Plus it has the detachable face so then it is even more not noticable
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sig by crmzendrgone

Quote Originally Posted by gmctrucks View Post
    Hotrod just a regular cig no stuff in it but I have been cutting down on them I get my Pall-Mall blues at CVS for less than $10.00 dollars for two packs not bad I use my CVS card for the discount. It's raining over here right now and my smokes are in my truck im getting out my umbrella to get to them nothing like a good morning smoke or after one eats. Kids smoking is bad im smoking less till I quit it is a BAD habit.
    We smoke the same thing JeemC. Pall-Mall Blue Shorts. I get them here for $35.99 tax included a carton. If I am gonna contiue to kill myself doing it, I want to be able do it cheap as possible.
    85 Sierra Classic K1500
    85 Silverado K10
    84 Scottsdale C20
    91 Silverado R1500 Suburban

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast