Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1991 Chevy K1500 4X4 Pickup 4.3 V6, 4 wheel drive won't engage...

Blog Entries

1991 Chevy K1500 4X4 Pickup 4.3 V6, 4 wheel drive won't engage...

I have a 1991 Chevy K1500 4X4 Cheyenne 4.3 V6, New Process 241 transfer case. Last week 4x4 was fine. This morning pulled lever down to 4high for 4x4, lever locked in, the 4x4 lights did not turn on and only the rear tires spun. Drove it in reverse, forward, took it around the snowy block several times, reverse drive routine, no dice. No 4x4 working....
    I locked into 4 low, it worked. 4 HIGH will not work no matter what I did.
    Any suggestions? Thanks
    email: awbmaintenance@yahoo.com

I would say it is the ball switch on the T-Case or your selector is worn on the side that hits the ball switch when activating 4-hi

put a bypass switch in the wires to the tranny ball switch and manually engage it
    4 wheels move the body
    2 wheels move the soul
    B.W.A.I
    Snow is a lot like religion and a lot like sex....you never know when you are going to get it!....or how much you will get

Blog Entries
    ball switch? not sure what you mean? actuator switch maybe or is the switch actually called ball switch?
    should I replace the switch, take it out, clean it, etc.
    thanks

Blog Entries
    I wanted to add a few more questions.
    Why does the 4low work and not the 4high?
    Is there a ball switch for the 4low in the transfer case?
    Is there a ball switch for the front differential?
    I researched the replacement transfer case ball switch and it says for automatic trans. it should be a three prong plug. Does any other part of the 4 wheel drive system have sensors, ball switches, vacuum switches, etc. Is my 91 chevy k 1/2 ton truck a vacuum transfer case system or something else?
    Thanks again.
    Ford= Found On Road Dead
    Ford= Fix or Repair Daily
    Than again it's my chevy that has the rear wheels spinning in the snow while the front one's are frecken useless....

Im willing to bet that the front diff actuator is dead...... When you engaged 4 low, did it bring the lights on the floor on? It should have dropped the range, and made it the lower range..... but, If the light didnt come on on the floor with it in 4 low, or 4 high, I'll bet its the front diff actuator

Blog Entries
    The floor light did not come on. Also, I just thought of checking the 4x4 25 amp fuse. I found it blown!! I replaced it with another 25 amp fuse, locked it inot 4x4, blew again! Why would the fuse blow?

check the wiring for a short to ground, unplug the actuator and see if the fuse blows, if not the actuator may be shorted. otherwise look around the tranny for a rub on the wires
    4 wheels move the body
    2 wheels move the soul
    B.W.A.I
    Snow is a lot like religion and a lot like sex....you never know when you are going to get it!....or how much you will get

Like Leo said, you have a short in the wiring somewhere......... go through the steps he talked about, and you'll find your problem.....It may be the actuator is shorted..... I once had a plug on the actuator back out enough for ice to build uop inside it, and it started blowing the fuse...... check your wiring hopefully its just a cheap and easy fix..... although an actuator isnt too much, and its way to easy to replace

Blog Entries
    Your all correct!! I unplugged the front axle actuator plug, replaced blown fuse and the fuse did not blow. As soon as I plugged in the sensor and started the truck, engaged 4x4, the fuse blew!! I replaced the front axle actuator, replaced the fuse, 4x4 working and ready to rip white powder! Excellent Chevy Forum!
    Stay American, Buy American, even if you drift to a foreign car, keep the real deal somewhere on the property. American Made Chevrolet!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast