Thread: 94 Chevy 1500 Overheating

94 Chevy 1500 Overheating

I changed the water pump, thermostat and took the top hose off..nothing comes out. The bottom hose was cold and top was hot. Shouldn't the water come through the bottom? Which direction should the water flow, from the top hose into the radiator? Or from the radiator into the top hose?

Any advice?

JClack

You probably don't have all the air out of the engine block. Disconnect one of the heater hoses at the engine and leave it off while you pour coolant into the radiator. The coolant should come pouring out of the fitting you took the heater hose loose from. Yes, the coolant flows top to bottom through the radiator.

Changed the oil lately?
    тнuмрıиg мч sкoаl cаи

Welcome to the forum and howdy from TEXAS. Once the stat opens the water should come out of the top hose and go into the radiator. Did you place the stat back-wards did the give you the right pump? Maybe the stat is messed up it can happen even if it's new. When I fill my radiator on my 1993 5.7 truck I leave the cap off till the stat opens then I top it off I have never had a problem with air pockets now I have a high flow pump boy does it push out the water im very happy with it.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j clack View Post
    I changed the water pump, thermostat and took the top hose off..nothing comes out. The bottom hose was cold and top was hot. Shouldn't the water come through the bottom? Which direction should the water flow, from the top hose into the radiator? Or from the radiator into the top hose?
    which direction pump did you put in?? do you have good flow through the radiator?? the water should go through the lower radiator hose into the pump and come back through the upper hose. remember that heat rises so the upper should be hotter first. could be air in the system as mentioned above or a tstat tht is faulty or installed backwards. if nothing comes out of the hose, i would believe a problem at the t stat unless the system is extremely low on coolant.