Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1988 chevy 1500 4x4 starting problem

1988 chevy 1500 4x4 starting problem

Have an 88 chevy 4x4 truck kseries 1500. Limited use on farm ran great. pulled in shut off went to start again and nothing. didn't crank nothing. Wouldn't jump to start. towed home has a new battery even had it tested. Put on a new starter. Will crank some but almost like a low battery. Not enough to turn over. We smelled a hot wire and while checking wiring on ecu It cranked harder almost like wanting to start, One wire was melted. We replaced the ecu and it still acts as before. hardly any crank. Any ideas or has the old girl decided to retire. I have never had an issue until this

Welcome to the forum

thanks a lot I hope I get some answers

Hot wires or cables indicate a bad connection. I suspect that you have a battery cable with a poor connection or a cable that has broken down within the insulation.

The path with the least resistance is where it will try to find a good ground, and in many cases it is sourced from a wire that it too small and it burns up.

Find the ground or connection problem and your problems will be over.

Verify that the cables are in good condition, and not just a visual. You will have to wiggle the cables at the ends. This is where they typically deteriorate.

I second that ^^^
    RUN IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT

I totally agree with 75K30! I had a '91 GMC K2500 that all of a sudden one day wouldn't start half the time and/or would die while going down the road. Replaced the battery twice and tested the starter because it would always have to be jump started. Found the positive battery cable was corroded from the inside! Put new cables on and started right up! **NOTE To All-- Make sure the positive cable is secured completely from battery to starter and to fuse/relay box or take the chance and frying new cables like I did against the exhaust manifold!**
    Live Fast, Ride Hard

that would suck since new cables...
    RUN IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT

Oh it did! Middle of the night driving home and all of a sudden the engine shuts off and all the lights go out. Then the next day in the pouring rain in some gas station parking lot changing out the brand new cable you just installed and fried lol! Never want to be on that road again
    Live Fast, Ride Hard

haha ya i always end up running into issues like that... you just could win them 2 days could ya lol
    RUN IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT

haha **** skippy. I always seem to have the best/worse luck with everything I've owned but would never trade any of them for the world! Just like the GMC I've got now. Got it for a screaming deal but have had to replace the rear diff, trans, front diff, and have put 3 sets of hubs, 1 cv axle, god knows how many wheel studs and ball joints into the things! All within 4 years of owning it but other than that it's an awesome truck and haven't had many probs with it in the past year
    Live Fast, Ride Hard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast