Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how to adjust camber

how to adjust camber

hey guys, i have a 1990 chevy C3500 and i am wondering how to adjust the camber. I had it in for an alignment today and they wanted 300 bucks to do it, so i told them where to go, especially when to part is only 30 bucks. Any help would be greatly appreciated

welcome to the truck forum

Quote Originally Posted by tofield View Post
    hey guys, i have a 1990 chevy C3500 and i am wondering how to adjust the camber. I had it in for an alignment today and they wanted 300 bucks to do it, so i told them where to go, especially when to part is only 30 bucks. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Adusting the camber isnt anything that you will be able to do with out have it on an alignment machine. I would suggest taking it some where else

Platinum Member
    ^^^ what he said. an alignment isn't a guessing game.
    <----just your average 5.3

i have the print out with exactly how much it is out and called the dealer by my place and they can order the kits with the adjustment you need...but i am not to sure how to do it....i cant be that hard though....can it

are the one tons the normal upper and lower control arm setup or are they swing arms? I can't remember..
    Joe
    89 K2500 Chevy, Wee-Oh-five 294K miles
    1962 Scout 80 parts I guess
    1966 Scout 800 resto job
    2005 Chevy 2500HD Short cab long box DURAMAX
    1996 P30, 6.5 NA Mac Mobile
    whole lot of buicks

Quote Originally Posted by tofield View Post
    i have the print out with exactly how much it is out and called the dealer by my place and they can order the kits with the adjustment you need...but i am not to sure how to do it....i cant be that hard though....can it
    Even though you have a print out and you know eaxctly how much it is out It still wont be right. Caster, camber, Toe all need to be adjusted in order or it throws the others off. Also you may need more then the kit says per your measurements It depends on how it all bolts up.

I agree with the above. Get the idea out of your head you are going to be able to do it yourself. Thats if you want it done propery of course. If they are installing upper or lower control arm bushing shafts and bushings, and doing the alignment too, $300 total might not have been a bad deal for a 1 ton. Ball joints can also allow camber to be off too. Did they say what parts needed replaced?
    85 Sierra Classic K1500
    85 Silverado K10
    84 Silverado C20

Platinum Member
    i have adjusted camber on big trucks before but this is a completely different animal from what you are dealing with. keep in mind that adjustments that you make to one inevitably affect other adjustments. in all, there are much more adjustments than just camber and caster. about 50% or your alignment shops wont even do a full alignment when they tell you they do. if anyone here wants to argue that with me, be my guest. show me a printout and ill show you what is missing including your steering angle index.
    why not buy the part, put it on yourself, and then have it aligned?? an alignment only cost 60 at any shop around here. being camber, i assume it has to do with a tie rod end or something to that effect. if you live within a reasonable driving distance, do the work yourself getting as close to what you have now as you can and drive it there for the alignment.

sually mine average around $100, your shop sounds pricey, check around, but as mentioned above without a machine you cannot do it yourself
    4 wheels move the body
    2 wheels move the soul
    B.W.A.I
    Snow is a lot like religion and a lot like sex....you never know when you are going to get it!....or how much you will get

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast