Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: replacing spider gears in 1999 Chevy

i also have a 99 chevy, im not totally sure but every shop i ve been to about a rearend has said these trucks have huge loads of probs with the rear end starting with the spider gears, im on the 3 rd rearend since i ve owned it also, u need to check all of the gears in the rear end to be sure they didnt shred as well, when mine went out the first time the shop said the spider gears were gone and the other gears were pitted from hittin the spiders awkwardly, when that was all fixed i only had 1 and 2 gear cuz it tore the sprag in the trans out and massacred it as well so ur problem may not stop at the spider gears

well the rest of the gears are fine, ive looked at it. i only drove about 10 or 15 miles on it after it started banging because i had to get home and that is it and i looked and everything else is perfect. but anyone know some step by step instructions for this???????????

Auto Banned
    put jack stands under axle housing. remove tires and wheels. remove brake hubs. remove diff cover. remove bolt and pin. push axles inward all the way. remove c-clips from axle. pull axles out 6or so inches or all the way out if replacing seals. turn carrier to roll spider gears out. gears have concave washers on them. kit should have new ones. put diff oil on them and put them on new gears. reinstall by rolling them back in. need to start both gears at same time so they will line up to install pin back in. put axles back in all the way and install c- clips. pull axles out until c-clips seat. install pin and bolt. put cover on. fill with gear oil.

The shavings have contaminated the rest of the rear end, You ought to do it right the first time.
    Joe
    89 K2500 Chevy, Wee-Oh-five 294K miles
    1962 Scout 80 parts I guess
    1966 Scout 800 resto job
    2005 Chevy 2500HD Short cab long box DURAMAX
    1996 P30, 6.5 NA Mac Mobile
    whole lot of buicks

Ill bet the axle bearing are freid too or at least pitted. While its apart you should at the very least clean and inspect all the bearings.
    2002 Chevy S10 EXT CAB,lowered
    1999 Chevy Tahoe LT
    1985 Chevy MC/SS (with goodies)

Auto Banned
    oh yea, jack truck up to put stands under axle housing. crabtruck said i left that part out. thanks crab

I won't tell you what I did
    that made me think
    it was important to included.

Auto Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crabtruck View Post
    I won't tell you what I did
    that made me think
    it was important to included.
    come on, i want to here. we probably have all done some not so smart goof ups, like putting engine and trans in and noticing torque converter is laying beside truck. kinda got a not so funny laugh out of that

well got it all tore apart and replaced. there was a lot of metal. the housing for the spider gears is kinda messed up. i just did a really good job cleaning and put the new gears and new shims in and hope for the best. i will probably be looking for a new axle soon because the gears the pin slides through are a little sloppy so ill expect it to go back out around 100,000 (truck has 76,000) as long as i don't do any burnouts and only do some minor off roading. but its back on the road for now and hopefully i wont have no more problems.

Auto Banned
    well. good luck. it really wasn't that bad was it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast