Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chevy 350 Won't Start-new starter

Chevy 350 Won't Start-new starter

Hey Guys! I put a new starter in my truck, hooked it up and the truck still wont start. When i turn the key it acts like the truck battery is dead. I then try to turn it again and the interior lights wont even turn on. If i play with the battery cables and turn the key then the light come on again but still will not turn starter. Just installed a new starter and new battery. Could this be an electrical problem somewhere? Let me know Thanks

Welcome to the forum. Bad battery cables.Must have a short in them. Get the copper ones.

Thanks, this is something I will pick up on the way home today and try. Could it possibly be something in the electrical up by the drivers side of the truck?

well, what kind of truck is it and all. i had a similar problem and i found out that the fusible link on the passenger side where the terminal strip is burned up. that was also caused by the wiring harness on the drivers side moved down and shorted out on the exhaust manifold. it can be many problems. that is just what happened to me.
    1990 Chevy C2500 350 5.7 V8; 55 Watt 10,000K HI/LO HID Lights; K&N Air Filter; Dual Optima Red Batteries; Pioneer Head Unit w/ 10" sub; Prodigy Brake Controller; Hankook Tires; Electric Fans

As davbell says could be bad battery wires. However make sure that where the wires connect to the battery is clean (should be bright and shiny) and the same for the wire connectors. Once bolted to the battery they should be tight enough so that you can`t move them by hand.
    Follow the ground wire (neg/black wire) and check that it is tight where it bolts to the engine. If there is a ground wire to the starter check that it is good at both ends and confirm that the heavy pos. wire to the starter is on tight.

1981 GMC 4x4, but the engine was put in so it is not original to the truck. The truck ran great a few months ago, let it sit outside over the winter and now this has happened. Bad mistake on my part.

sounds like bad cables, also make sure the smaller ground wire is hooked up
    4 wheels move the body
    2 wheels move the soul
    B.W.A.I
    Snow is a lot like religion and a lot like sex....you never know when you are going to get it!....or how much you will get

I have the smaller wire hooked up, however there are two smaller bolts (one on each side of the bigger bolt) do i need to be hooker to a specific one?

i don't understand the question, the small one hooks to the body
    4 wheels move the body
    2 wheels move the soul
    B.W.A.I
    Snow is a lot like religion and a lot like sex....you never know when you are going to get it!....or how much you will get

sorry, one the cylinoid there are two smaller bolts, which one do i hook the ground to? does it matter?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast