Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2000 Silverado 4x4 making a squeaking sound

2000 Silverado 4x4 making a squeaking sound

Hey all. I was referred here from a motorcycle message board I'm a member of and said you all could help. I'm no mechanic but have mechanical abilities. I or my friends and I usually do all of our own work. We're cheap I've put motors in cars torn rear ends apart etc. I've got this problem that I cannot track down and it's pissing me off.

Only when moving forward can you hear a squeak squeak squeak noise. It's almost like a rubber on metal sound and is bases almost on tire speed and more so under load. It gets very quiet when you are not on the foot feed. I've jacked the truck up and had all 4 corners on stands.

#1 When I turn the rear drive shaft when the truck is in 2wd the front shaft spins. I've been told that isn't supposed to happen.

#2. When doing number 1 if you spin the shaft as if the trick was moving forward there is a slight squeak noise. I dropped the front shaft off of the differential and the the squeak is coming from the front of the transfer case.

What does this mean and does anyone have a clue as to what the fix is and can myself and my friends do it? My one friend was a Humvee mechanic in IRAQ so he has good knowledge as well. This one is just baffling us.

Thanks

T.C.

welcome
    it is normal for the Front shaft to spin
    sounds like a u-joint, the noise may be traveling
    have you tried using a piece of pipe as a listening bar?
    4 wheels move the body
    2 wheels move the soul
    B.W.A.I
    Snow is a lot like religion and a lot like sex....you never know when you are going to get it!....or how much you will get

Yup. Out of the transfer case.

T.c>

welcome to forum leolfrm is right the front shaft does turn it quits turning @ a certain speed and i would say he is also right on the ujoint the noise is traveling through the rear shaft or could be the one @ the transfer case.

Would it be traveling all the way through the rear shaft and transfer case though? Seems unlikely. How does that boot come off of the front of the trans case so that I can inspect that joint there?

T.C.

Boot???? What boot? There should be a flange that is on the front of your t-case. That boot should be covering the slip joint.

Have any pics?

Are you talking about the front driveshaft boot? If so that is usually a sealed unit and not made to be taken apart
    Live Fast, Ride Hard

Replace the rear u joints. Don't go looking for bigger problems, this is the cheapest place to start. They dry out and start squeaking.

Quote Originally Posted by chevy_girl_85 View Post
    Are you talking about the front driveshaft boot? If so that is usually a sealed unit and not made to be taken apart

Actually the opposite is true. They have to come apart to be serviced. In many cases noise can come from this area when the splines become dry.
    Many mechanics (I do) own a banding tool that replaces this stainless steel band that holds these on.
    While it may appear that they are not a service item, they are not sealed, and require some attention.
    More times than not, I remove the rubber boot and throw it away. Ive found that these things trap water and dirt, and do more damage than good.
    Just a FYI, but I think we might be talking about the same components as the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by 75K30 View Post
    Actually the opposite is true. They have to come apart to be serviced. In many cases noise can come from this area when the splines become dry.
    Many mechanics (I do) own a banding tool that replaces this stainless steel band that holds these on.
    While it may appear that they are not a service item, they are not sealed, and require some attention.
    More times than not, I remove the rubber boot and throw it away. Ive found that these things trap water and dirt, and do more damage than good.
    Just a FYI, but I think we might be talking about the same components as the OP.
    Bingo you got it. So I can pitch it then w/o having a problem? I may do that then and drop the whole shaft. Will I loose any fluid out of the front of the xfer case if I pull that off? I know on a tranny you will sometimes. Just making sure. My buddy exercised the shaft a couple of times before we put it back on the other night and now the noise doesn't start for the first 1/10 of a mile or so.

Thanks

T.C.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast