Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 1994 454 dies after reaching operating temp

Question My 1994 454 dies after reaching operating temp

My 1994 Chevy C3500 crew cab 1 ton with a 454 is having a serious issue of dying when it warms up in the morning, once I get it to operating temp and get out on the road it just dies.

I took it to the Chevy dealer and they replaced my radiator and fixed a short problem I was having in the wiring (not sure where). But same ol' thing, I get it warmed up head out and at some point it dies within a few miles down the road.

What I'm wondering is if I need new spark plug wires, plugs, distributor cap and so forth. Chevy did a pressure test of the cooling system and found a big radiator leak but it still has a dying issue.

I also replaced the thermostat.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

sounds to me like a coil if its a hei system the HEI systems tend to do that because the coil is on top of the distributor cap and gets warmer than most. new coil should do you but it dont hurt to change the cap and roter wires if they look like they need it or you just know their old same with the plugs. if it starts when it cools down coil if it dies and wont start again its usually the control module oh yha have you checked for fuel problem might be a week electric pump
    Last edited by digitalpill; 04-05-2010 at 09:24 AM. Reason: did you check fuel
    i need to get outta hear before i rust to death

when it cools down it starts right back up and I can usually get it home

coil or week fuel pump but i would check ignition first oh and welcome to the forum

ignition as in timing and brain box? And thanks for the welcome.

fuel pump is easy to tell but check filter first much cheaper if i think i am having a fuel presser problem i just buy a fuel presser gauge and put it on top the engine in a easy to see spot when it starts acting up check it if its low you got a filter,leek or pump problem

ignition=spark no spark when it dies coil if that dont work then check the brain box it cost much more and fails less often

OK sounds like a solid plan, one thing it probably needs a new distributor and plug wires for sure... I'll do a fuel pressure test... quick question where do I buy the fuel pressure tester, see I'm a Harley Mechanic and yes you would think I could figure this out but this big block is a totally different animal for me for whatever reason and I don't want to keep throwing bandaids on it... just want it to run like it used to. The valve train is in great shape, sounds great when it runs and the motor was rebuilt last year so those ********s probably should've put all new stuff on it when they did it but I'm sure Chevy just said, "If it aint broke don't fix it."

OK, problem solved... it was in fact the Ignition Control Modual... it's running perfect now. So thanks a lot for your help and advice Digitalpill!

nice to hear u got it running i don't have a fuel presser tester i just buy a fuel prusser gauge any parts store should have them and install it so its thar now and a quick reference for trouble shooting in the future i figerd the coil because when the control module goes its usually dead for good but then again electronics of like that can just be screwy sometimes. its ok i have a hard time with bikes if aint between the coil+plug,carb,or top end i cant fix it .always thought a Harley dirt bike would be grate mostly because the gearbox is separate i hate paying to have a engine tore apart to fix a gear and the other way around

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast