Thread: 90 chevy truck dies right after start up

90 chevy truck dies right after start up

ive got this 1990 chevy truck when i start it it starts up then just dies like u just shut it off i dnt understand can someone please help new fuel filter cap wires plugs etc if anyone has had this problem please let me no

Welcome to the forum. Do a fuel pressure test. Mine did that this time last year and it was timing set needing replaced.

Does it die just as soon as you release the key from the start position?

no it doesnt like 2 or 3 sec after that u can hold down the gas and it runs awful

Check it for codes first. it could just be a vac leak. i have seen this happen when the gasket under the throttle body gets sucked in. dont ask me why they do that either, youd think those gaskets would last forever.. without more info, it could be a temp sensor gone bad pumping too much fuel in it, or the IAC stuck open/closed it could be several things in combination.
    Start checkign those things and get the codes so we have something to work from.

ok pulled codes none there coolant sensor reades right how do i check the idel air control all one more thing when i unplug the air to map sensor it will ideal i changed the map sensor the throttle body gasket too still the same

the coolant sensor for the computer is reading correctly? this has to be checked with a scanner, its not the same as the one that runs your gauges... if it is reading ok then thats good. you can check the IAC by looking down into the throttle body. its the round thing sticking out the back passenger side. In the throttle body itself at the passenger side rear is hole/vacuum opening. when you look in that hole, you should "just" be able to see the tip of the pintle on the IAC. when the engine is running, it should be seen to move in and out slightly when you run the throttle. be carefull when you look at this, the engine is running, the fan is turning, and if it backfires your in for a face full of hot gas. If the IAC is bottomed out against its seat, then that is a clear sign that you have a vac leak somewhere.
    you may have to get whoever checked your temp sensor to put the scanner on it and check your TPS, map sensor, o2 sensors etc and make sure those are all reading correctly as well.
    I just did an 89 with an almost identicle problem... It had a knock signal though, and when i replace the engine (due to the bad bearings) the stalling problem went away with the old engine i havent torn into the old engine to check it for problems yet......

i had a problem like this a few summer's ago.......the engine would run..then die.......I checked the internals of the distributor and the windings which are normally copper were now a shade of green which meant i had a corrosion issue.......i ended up changing out the distributor with a rebuilt and the problem i had, went adios too