Thread: Frame rust

Frame rust

The eternal question... frame rust: how much is too much / beyond repair or worth blasting and painting / sealing? I know pics are worth a million...and I'll get some of my frame when it stops raining...

but general opinion / rule of thumb? The bed of this rotted out bad and last year the previous owner (my father) put a wood bed on it... I know the bed support / cross members are pretty toast, but the frame itself is borderline in my opinion, not worth it in his.

I'm debating on whether or not to put any money into this restoring it, or try to find another cab / frame in better shape. The cab corners have been done once, (driver's side needs to be redone), both side rocker panels should be replaced, and both lower doors are pretty toasty. But the floor and rest of cab is good.

Thanks

?

it come's down to what truck it is,how much you love it ,how talented are you at repair ,or how much money you have ?

if its as bad as you say it is id find another truck and part the two of them together to make a good truck other wise i would be scared to drive it for fear of it falling apart around me

Taken me a while, but here's a couple of pics of the frame... I know it's hard to tell from pics, but what's the general consensus... savable?
    Attached Images Attached Images      

From the pic it looks like mostly heavy surface rust. But the pics could me missing something. Check it ou for weak places, You be the judge, The body however has seen beter days.
    Window tint its for window, Not for tail lights. Don't be that guy .

Aye, just looks like normal surface rust to me, in fact it looks better than a few trucks i have driven... Really hard to tell from the pics.. is there any holes rusted in the frame or is it all surface?
    One of the places that usually goes to heck first, is the brackets that bolt to the frame, and the front of your rear springs. that bracket holds dirt and moisture, and will usually be one of the first places to go. The front cab mounts are also a pretty bad spot, where the front tires throw up the sand/salt and water. If those areas look OK, and there are no holes or really thin spots in it I would go with it. those frame rails are pretty thick. if you give it a mild boink with a ball peen hammer in any place you think is weak and it doesnt dent the frame or blwo through it then your probably good to go.. its just really hard to tell without being able to climb under it and look for myself

The frame doesn't look unsalvagable at all to me. I've seen much worse--what you have is a good case of surface rust. The best thing to do, is take an 'ol wire brush and start scraping...I'll bet you can take 85% of the rust disappear with a few passes. The cross members should probably be replaced though. I had a '65 Ford stepside and the frame was good, but the cross members had to be replaced. You can purchase a new set of these at LMC Truck...Here's their website: Truck Parts and Truck Accessories for Chevy, GMC, Ford and Dodge Trucks from LMCTruck.com

Once you give the frame a good sanding, depending on what level of restoration you're wanting to go to, I would highly recommend brush applying the entire sanded frame and undercarriage with a product called POR 15. This stuff is tough as nails, and when applied correctly looks good and makes anything coated impervious to corrosion. Ploblem solved...

Quote Originally Posted by 87ChevyMan View Post
    <snip>I would highly recommend brush applying the entire sanded frame and undercarriage with a product called POR 15. This stuff is tough as nails, and when applied correctly looks good and makes anything coated impervious to corrosion. Ploblem solved...
    Holy cow...they don't give that stuff away huh? Yowsers... any idea how much it'd take to do the back half of the frame (cab rearward)?

Quote Originally Posted by GeekTrucker View Post
    Holy cow...they don't give that stuff away huh? Yowsers... any idea how much it'd take to do the back half of the frame (cab rearward)?
    You can cover your entire frame (probably twice) with 2 quarts. I'm telling you, don't buy the knock-off brand...I know people say that Chassis Saver is just as good, but nothing beats the original formula. Trust me.